Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Homemade Solutions  (Read 3058 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
Homemade Solutions
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:39:26 pm »
Back in the fall we had a thread about frame holders.  Below is one that I made not long after that.  It is collapsable by removing a couple of screws.  I can then take it to removal sites where I use it to hold frames while I put cutout comb in them.  At home I use it to hold frames for inspection.  It can hold an entire box of frames.  That is a medium frame on the holder.  Made it with scrap wood.

This is my solution to ant problems.  I have had 5 different species of ant in my hives.  At first I put the legs in cans of water until they froze and busted this winter.  Now I have drilled holes in these boards.  The legs sit in the holes, which do not go through the board, I will put some thick axle grease in the holes and up the legs a little way.  The boards will make it easier for me to level the hives also.  The stand is made from rebar steel and is a pretty easier build for a welder.  I added a third set of legs in the middle.  The stand could hold three standard hives, but the weight scares me so I will only use two per stand.  That is a standard nuc on the stand for size.  The stand is high enough that I do not have to bend over much to work the hives. 

Comments welcomed.

Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Homemade Solutions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:37:06 pm »
I hope you have better luck than I using grease !

I used automotive chaise lub, after about a month of outdoor exposure it developed a solid top coating, ants used it like a freeway.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:21:45 pm »
The solid top coating was probably from sand and dust.  Why not set the feet in metal coffee cans with vegetable oil in them?  That should work and would also solve the top coating issue.  Plus the metal coffee cans will be much less likely to break due to freezing than the plastic containers.  You would need a really hard freeze to damage the sautered joints.  Also, vegetable oil does not freeze so easily ;)

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:12:39 pm »
I was using the big cans yams come in.  The bottoms froze out.  I used oil for a little while.  I would need to change the grease out for sure.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:31:57 am »
Has anyone used the sticky substances that horticulturists use around the trunks of their trees to keep insects and such climbing up into the tree?