Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Off Gassing by Plastic  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Off Gassing by Plastic
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:07:49 pm »
I was talking with another beekeeper who brought up an intriguing point.  Does the use of plastic frames, hives, etc have any effect on the bees secondary to offgassing of the plastics?  I do not know much about the subject of plastic, Styrofoam and the like and the manner in which it puts of chemicals, gasses or otherwise degrades, but I thought I 'd see if any of you have considered this before and, if so, the conclusions drawn. 
Brian

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Off Gassing by Plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:11:20 pm »
This was a subject of discussion this past weekend at the South Eastern Organic beekeepers conference. What was said was that the plastic itself would not be a problem but some of the releasing agents may. It was suggested that you air out new plastic hive componets. If it is the plastic foundation that the bee's seem to not take to, try adding some more beeswax to it.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Off Gassing by Plastic
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:19:22 pm »
I always recommend that plastic hive equipment be allowed to air out for several months before use, 6 months to a year is better.
If I, with a bad sniffer and asthma, get repulsed from the fumes and smell when a box containing plastic components is opened, what does it do to the bee? 

I've seen/heard of swarms and packages both absconding when placed directly onto new plastic frames.

It also helps to apply a light additional coat of wax to the plastic foundation/frames as well.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything