Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My 1 week anniversary as a beekeeper  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
My 1 week anniversary as a beekeeper
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:39:38 pm »
Hello -

Just wanted to introduce myself per the Beemaster's request!

I got a nuc last Tuesday and today is our one week anniversary! My husband and I are taking this project on together in South Jersey but the hubby managed to be away all of last week so I got the job of transferring the nuc and worrying about it all week. Fortunately, I am in touch with a more seasoned beekeeper who has been very tolerant of my panicky emails (thanks Seth!)

It has been quite a learning experience - in just a week I have had swarm cells and a dead queen but only one sting (of course, my own fault). I got to see the waggle dance and some young workers doing their orientation flights. They have already drawn out an entire frame and absolutely FILLED it with honey. What an amazing thing a bee hive is!

Anyway, right now I am on the fence about re-queening. I know the old queen is dead (found her on the ground outside the hive!) and I have not been able to find eggs or a new queen. I have one capped swarm cell. I am hoping (against my better judgment) that the swarm cell queen will hatch but that there will not be an actual swarm because 1. The hive has been given room to fill out since they are now in a 10 deep instead of a 5 nuc and 2. The old queen is already gone. Oh yeah and, 3. Because I have decided I will show some self-control and not have to peek into the box every day.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to be here.

- Jess

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: My 1 week anniversary as a beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:47:01 pm »
Welcome from S. Cen. Alabama.
Wow, sounds like your doing well with your new project.  I'm still pretty new at this myself, but IF its a capped Queen Cell I think I'd wait and see what happens.  Are they still in the nuc or have you put them in the deep super yet?

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:59:29 pm »
Hi HAB -

Thanks for the welcome.

I have them in a 10 frame deep now - they are out of the nuc.

I think I will wait and see, too. The beekeeper who sold me the nuc has offered to swap it if I am still queen-less in a week or two so I might as well use it to learn something! I am kind of hoping they do re-queen though - these are exceptionally gentle bees and I would love it if the line would continue - I am a beginner, after all!

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:04:40 am »
Was just in ours for the first time today.  My wife wore the whole outfit, my son and I wore nothing (I'm in a power wheelchair) and no one was stung.  They crawled all over me but that was it.  It was so much fun.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:09:38 am »
Jess, welcome to our forum, you have found the most wonderful place to help you to learn about bees, along with Seth, who is also giving you a great hand, you are in great hands.  So nice that you have taken up beekeeping, you will soon be deep under the spell of this honeybee and the more that you learn the more that you will want to learn.  You are heading deep down that rabbit hole.  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, love our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything