Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frustrated in Oregon  (Read 1311 times)

Offline KaraBee

• New Bee
Frustrated in Oregon
« on: May 25, 2014, 12:41:26 am »
Hello all! I joined the forum a few weeks ago but forgot to introduce myself. I started with 2 hives a month ago and boy am I feeling frustrated. Within 2 weeks one hive absconded and when I checked my remaining hive today which has been doing really well, a huge piece of comb fill of brood fell off. I really had no idea what to do. Anyone else feeling overwhelmed with all there is to learn?

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Re: Frustrated in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 03:29:40 am »
Hi.
It is easy to get frustrated with the steep learning curve you go through with getting bees - you read & read & watch youtube vids & read some more but the bees will still go and do something you not prepared for!
I started out wanting only 2 hives at 1st but within a week of getting my 1st 2 hives I found myself with an additional 10 hives (12 in total). Everytime I go into a hive I learn something new!
Had a laying worker but managed to fix that - atleast it looks like I succeeded - now have a few new queen with problems - 1 looks like a drone layer, the other is laying 3-4 eggs per cell - only time will tell if that is a problem.
Anyway Good Luck and DON'T GIVE UP!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 06:57:12 am »
Yeah,the bees certainly forget to freshen up with the books. Hang in there.
It sounds like you may have opted for foundationless. Be sure when using foundationless that you don't roll the frame from vertical to horizontal when inspecting until it is attached across the bottom of the frame. New wax is very flimsy, as you have learned.
Most here will attest that bees can survive despite us helping them out! ;)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:50:38 pm »
Yeap, still get overwhelmed sometimes.  I had your experience last year.  Back when I first started a fellow beek gave me a swarm.  He had had them in a TBH nuc  for a few days before giving them to me.  When I got them home had to cut the comb they had built on the sides and rubber band them in.  Then two days latter there was SHB's all through the comb.  Just chalk it up to a learning experience.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

anything