Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fruit and/or Nut Trees  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Fruit and/or Nut Trees
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2023, 01:36:42 pm »
As  you probably would expect, I don't spray for anything...  If you are planting a bunch of these you probably want to plan your irrigation system first or watering the trees will take all your time, or you won't get them watered and they will die.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2023, 01:37:59 pm »
As  you probably would expect, I don't spray for anything...  If you are planting a bunch of these you probably want to plan your irrigation system first or watering the trees will take all your time, or you won't get them watered and they will die.
That sounds horrible and annoying. We get enough rain here that nothing dies. They might not so as well but they won't die.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2023, 02:02:03 pm »
That sounds horrible and annoying. We get enough rain here that nothing dies. They might not so as well but they won't die.
Yeah, we're in a temperate rainforest, so I doubt we are going to struggle overmuch with that.  Because the trees will be on a slope (no flat land around here), my sister is considering a water retention method where you create swales behind the trees to catch rainwater.  It only works if the slope is less than 15% incline though, so it depends exactly how steep the site is.   

Thanks so much everyone, lots of good info here.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2023, 07:20:59 am »
>That sounds horrible and annoying. We get enough rain here that nothing dies. They might not so as well but they won't die.

You've got to water them for the first few years here.  Some years you might get by without watering, but other years you won't.  Plus they won't grow very fast even in those years they won't die.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2023, 11:28:23 am »
> Is this the same type almond which is so popular in California which bees are in such high demand for pollination?

No. The variety I got is called Hall's hardy almond.  It is a cross with a peach.  The nut looks like a peach pit and just as hard.  It tastes good but a lot more work to get it.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2023, 11:51:38 am »
Thanks cao...

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything