Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does hive inspection really delay overall hive production  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Goodybee

• New Bee
  • From Experienced to Beginner
Does hive inspection really delay overall hive production
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:17:45 am »
I have heard that a hive inspection can delay or set back the hive three days. Is this really true or is it more specific to certain brood stages or maybee certain scenarios like walk away splits etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Does hive inspection really delay overall hive production
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 12:42:45 pm »
I say it is true.
I have several hives and an observation hive.
When I take the observation hive apart for any reason, it takes the bees up to three days to fix it back to the way they want it. What is worse is that during the first 2 days the bees are ignoring the SHB's. They walk around, undisturbed, like they own the hive and lay their eggs like crazy. On the third day the bees are pulling SHB's, eggs and SHB larvae out of the hive in a mad dash to save the hive. If there are not enough bees to handle them, the SHB's take over and slime the hive.
This does not happen if there is only minor disturbance. A good reason to always put the frames back the way they were unless you are intentionally manipulating the hive.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:10:54 pm »
I would say that a thorough inspection (ever frame) probably sets a hive back a half a day or so.  It's not like all work comes to a stop, but they do spend some effort fixing everything you broke or scrapped out etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Groundhawg

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 11:08:20 pm »
Of course it depends on how much you do and also how you replace frames and boxes.  Likely it is 24 or more if you have done much more than just look around.
Gracious words are like a honey comb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »
I agree with Michael, a day or so. I generally put the frames back together with the burr and bridge comb intact that way all they have to do is mend it, not build new.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!