Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax moth damage  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Farmlady

• New Bee
Wax moth damage
« on: July 09, 2004, 11:53:33 am »
I thought you might want to see the damage wax moths cause.  I put a super on a colony which I thought was strong, but was too weak to combat the moths. The super was an old one that I had boiled in a bleach solution to kill anything, but obviously was still infected.  Do I have to destroy all the wood items on this hive?  I hope not...it's expensive!  

I hope the three pictures uploaded okay.  It's my first attempt at placing pictures in the forum.  Thanks, John! :D

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Re: Wax moth damage
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 12:55:00 pm »
Almost, you didn't get your "img" tages quite right ... you need one before and one after, with a / in front of it... e.g.

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/myimage.jpg[/img]

And also, you clicked the "thumbnail" images - I think I've worked out the URL to the actual images, and pasted them below...

Same URL as you posted but without the ".thumb.jpg" at the end... and

If you press the "quote" button at the top of my post, you should see the text used to add the images in.

That doesn't look very nice  :cry:

Adam

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
Wax moth damage
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 02:03:00 pm »
My first year of beekeeping, I had a really strong hive (had 2 supers full of honey With all new wax and was a package of bees). We robbed the honey and didn't go back to the hive for 2 weeks.. Well, let us just say "your hive doesn't so bad compared to my hive"! It was total destroyed-- had so many wax moth larva, mush, web and casing that we could hardly pull it apart!! I was so upset that I had my husband start a fire and I put everything (frames,wooden ware, tops ,bottom and stand in the fire). I was afraid that if one larve got loose --he might get to another hive--I know now that I didn't have to do that....

Offline Farmlady

• New Bee
Wax moth damage
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 12:37:40 pm »
Thank you so much, Adam, for fixing my pictures.  When I looked at the image tag, I thought it did have the /img at the end, but I guess I was mistaken.  

I guess I don't have to burn everything after all!  Thanks Queen Bee.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Wax moth damage
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 03:40:29 pm »
Lady:

The big one to remember too is to GO TO THE IMAGE (NOT) THE THUMBNAIL and right click on the image itself, choose copy link location and a REAL COOL CLUE:

when you reach the place in the post where you want to add an image just CLICK ON THE "IMAGE TAG BUTTON" last to the right end of the buttons below the SUBJECT LINE at the top of any post. it creates a image and /image bracket thing for you - then place your cursor bettween the brackets where the link goes hold down the shift key and hit the V key - and the link will bet placed in there for you.

try it, it's easy and hard to mess up on which  like that..... then place the full link between the two middle brackets,
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Wax moth damage
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 11:10:39 pm »
Quote from: Farmlady
The super was an old one that I had boiled in a bleach solution to kill anything, but obviously was still infected.

It has nothing to do with being infected.  Just like a moth getting into your clothes closet and ruining your sweaters,  a wax moth or two got into your hive and ruined your comb.
Quote from: Farmlady

Do I have to destroy all the wood items on this hive?  I hope not...it's expensive!  

Nope,  just scrape it all off and put in new foundation and give it back to the bees.  They will clean up anything you missed.

Have you determined what happen to your bees?  The wax moths is a secondary thing.  Something happened to the bees that made them weak/die/abscond prior to the wax moths.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Anonymous

Wax moth damage
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 01:35:24 pm »
sorry about your moth trouble. those wax mothes drive me nuts! just looking at them makes my skin crawl. every winter i store my extra frames in boxes, put the boxes in large plastic bags and put moth crystals in the bags. it never fails that i find at least one box completely infested with moths and larva come spring. this year i put everything in the shead for the winter. i figure i will freeze their ugly little buts till the weather worms up a bit them ill keep a close eye on them. i truely simpathize for you, wax mothes are nothing but nasty.

anything