Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bright green honey?  (Read 12688 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Bright green honey?
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:46:06 am »
Has anyone ever had bright green honey? I've noticed my hives bringing in bright green nectar over the last few days... I'm north of Melbourne-is prickly pear a possibility?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Bright green honey?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »
The only bright green honey I have ever seen was when light colored yellow honey (think clover) was put in front of a black light, looked like a jar full of antifreeze.

There are some keeps around North Carolina that get purple honey evey now and then, they say it has a bubble gum taste to it.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:20:37 pm »
This one definitely isn't off clover and it's not under a black light. It's freshly drawn comb on black plastic foundation... i didn't believe it at first! i thought it was the light or my eyes playing tricks on me with the plastic foundation but i took some of the nectar out of the comb with my hivetool and sure enough - it's green! i don't know how it tastes though. I'd certainly be interested if any one else has experienced this

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:29:01 pm »
Brazillian pepper honey here has an almost florescent yellow-green color to it and is really cool looking when you harvest the frames. I have no idea what your forage is down there but I'm anxious to hear if anyone has an answer for you. Can you post a pic?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:54:50 pm »
I have never seen Brazillian Pepper down here - at the moment i'm leaning toward Prickly Pears but i haven't a clue... i'll definitely keep you posted and i will try and take a photo

swiftden

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:11:02 am »
I have 2 x 1kg tubs of green honey o got out of one of my hives. i am not sure what it is. tastes normal but still wary about eating it ! will post a picture if i work out how

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 04:10:25 am »
I have 2 x 1kg tubs of green honey o got out of one of my hives. i am not sure what it is. tastes normal but still wary about eating it ! will post a picture if i work out how

Where are you located swift?

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:46:24 am »
Dont think your bees are Italian, Carnolian, Russian or African Ozbuzz, but probably Irish.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

swiftden

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 08:14:24 am »
Bees are near Tailem Bend in South Australia. But the hive the honey came from came from Blackwood a about a month prior so not sure what they had been collecting

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:25:50 am »
Wonder what the shipping cost would be from you to me? I would like to have a honey bear's worth of it when you extract it.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:12:16 am »
In New York they got some red Honey came from a factory that was making Marciano Cherry's
I also have seen Green candied Cherry's,Do you guys down there have any Local food industry
making anything with a sweet green syrup??
 In New York what they found, was the bees found the red syrup that was leaking from a Vat
and this became their Main diet,I believe the factory had to clean up the overflow of syrup.
Just a thought from the states.

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:21 pm »
Have your bees be exposed to a large dose of gamma radiation lately?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 08:23:07 pm »
Hahah you're a comedia Allen! actually no! they've been exposed to a massive dose of kryptonite :)

seriously though, there is no industry in the area that could be contributing green syrup - and this is something that has only started over the last week and a half so it's something that has only just started flowering. The only thing i can put it down to so far is prickly pears...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 08:25:17 pm »
Could they be getting moisture from the flesh of the prickly pear?   A cut or hole in the leaf part would allow for water to be got out of it and the bees could collect it.   But I am just guessing here.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 09:19:20 pm »
That is a possibility - definitely - but the colour is quite consistent and the liquid is quite thick. I guess it could be syrup that's thickening as the moisture is evaporating off it. Do they normally store water in comb though?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 10:05:44 pm »
People eat cactus.  I guess it might be sweet.    I bet there is sugar in there.  They may be making honey out of it. 

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 07:34:05 am »
What about artichoke?

Offline Burnsy

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 08:27:27 am »
My bees have been all over my artichokes and I have not noticed any green honey.  Given the bright purple flowers I would be surprised if artichoke nectar was green.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 10:24:43 pm »
Man I wish I could grow artichokes here! It looks like they do well down under (even if they do grow up-side-down).

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 09:12:23 am »
Have your bees be exposed to a large dose of gamma radiation lately?

Some elian has died in bushes by diabetes.

Language barrier NOT included

anything