Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splitting my hive - new queen.  (Read 6146 times)

Offline EOHenry

• House Bee
Splitting my hive - new queen.
« on: January 10, 2005, 01:04:51 am »
As I have tried a couple of places already to order a new queen or two, I have been told they are all sold out already for this Spring.  I am wondering if I can split my strong hive and it will produce it's own new queen.  When do I attempt this?  Do I take the old queen out of the old hive or leave her and just take brood frames and put them into a new super?  How far away does the new hive have to be from old hive?
Appreciate any help or advice!!

EOHenry
I bee a firefighter.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 01:44:04 am »
may beginner and to do this but it is out of sence.

1) you will get new queen soon
2) If you split little hive, i cannot bring honey this year
3) if you let the hive first to grow normally, you can get from it many eveb 5 nucs and honey.
4) And if you arediiligent , you can catch  swarms

6) If you raise a queen with that way, it will be quite small one and it takes  4 week before it start to lay eggs.

Offline vabeekeeper

• New Bee
Where have you looked fror queens?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 09:01:16 pm »
I just ordered 5 new Carnoilan Queens form Strachan Apriary.  They still have queens available starting 21 April.

Offline vabeekeeper

• New Bee
Emergency "Queen Creation Steps" from a split
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 09:14:28 pm »
EOHenry:  I realize I did not answer your question only provided informaiton.  My recommendation is as follows IF you need to make a split from an existing colony and grow a new queen.

1.  Once the hive has built-up to sufficent strength remove the exsiting queen along with three frames of brood; one or two can be capped; one frame of honey and one frame of pollen.
2.  Place then in a NUC
3.  Shake nurse bees for two or three other frames onto these five frames in the NUC
4.  Place in alternate location then original hive
5.  Make sure that you have open brood in the original hive that has new eggs so that the nurse bees can generate a new queen.  THIS IS CRITICAL.
6.  Replace the five empty frame in the original hive with frames of fundation.
7.  Feed both the new and old hive with 1:1 sugar syrup (I personally add Honey-B-Healthy to the sugar syrup)
8.  Old hive will create a new queen cell within 10 days and you should have a new mated laying queen within 3 weeks.

Hope this helps... :wink:

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 10:22:10 am »
EOHENRY,
You can do it the way vabeekeepr describes, or do the opposite. That is you can leave the original queen in the original hive and remove brood frames into a nuc that have FRESH eggs on them. The new nuc will create a new queen and contrary to what Finman says you can get honey from the new hive this year. Finman lives in a climate with a verrryyy short summer and may not get honey from his new hives by using this method where he is at, but I assure you it can be done. I split two hives this way last year and the two new hives produced an average of 60 pounds of honey while the original hives averaged just under 200 pounds each.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 10:40:56 am »
Quote from: carbide
Finman lives in a climate with a verrryyy short summer and may not get honey from his new hives by using this method where he is at, but I assure you it can be done. .

It is very easy to do nucs in the midle of summer when hive is as biggest.  When it is growing upp, there is no idea to split it.  IT MEANS A MONT LATER.

Finland has  2  honey flow months, June and Juy. In the middle of June  hives are big and they are ready to swarm. When yuo take nucs in case, you pevent swarming and you get nucs. Also in that time there are new queens enough.

If nucs are not bigg enough you can give hatching brood farmes to them.  

There is no difference with Finland and California. It is now use to split hive when you try to get it "ready- to- harvest- honey- condition".  IT IS THE TAIMING, I TRY TO SAY.  JUST A MONTH LATER.

Offline East Texas Pine Rooter

• New Bee
Buy queens now
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 10:51:24 pm »
Just ordered 4-itallian queens from Hawaii beekeepers for $60.00, delievered air freight.  They are ready to ship now. 8)
Have a cat at the farm, and a dog in town.  we like rv traveling in our 5th wheel.  Just started bee keeping this 2004.   married 27-years,

anything