Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: % of bees with pollen  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Cadman

• New Bee
% of bees with pollen
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:07:27 pm »
I am a newbee. I thought there was robbing at my hive the other day, but after searching the forums, I think I was watching mid-day orienting flights. There is no fighting and no dead bees on the ground so I don't think it's robbing. I am seeing only about 10% of the bees entering the hive with pollen though. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: % of bees with pollen
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:21:14 pm »
Bees know how much pollen they need in the hive with relation to how much blooming there is out there.  I think your bees are doing fine.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:28:06 pm »
The bees coming back without pollen are bringing in water and nectar...your flow must be on :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jtow

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »
The bees coming back without pollen are bringing in water and nectar...your flow must be on :)

Scott

I've noticed as well some pollen coming in on my two first year hives, and a lot of bees going in and leaving however our flow appears to be about over. Are they still finding nectar elsewhere or mostly bringing in water? Temp today was about 102.

Offline Cadman

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:05:47 am »
The blackberries are blooming big time here. Good to know. Thanks.