Welcome, Guest

Poll

i went to check my 4 hives but i found no brood i found the queens. Help

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 23, 2008, 10:43:25 pm

Author Topic: no brood  (Read 3347 times)

Offline copperjessy

• New Bee
no brood
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:43:25 pm »
i went to check my 4 hives but i found no brood i found the queens but on brood Help

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: no brood
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:12:07 pm »
Let us know where you are from....it helps us help you...
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:21:53 pm »
i went to check my 4 hives but i found no brood i found the queens but on brood Help

If you're in the northern US or Canada chances are the queens have gone idle for the winter.  As you just found out No Brood doesn't always mean no queen.   If they had lots of stores I wouldn't worry about them until spring.  If they lack stores I feed when the weathe permits it to improve their chances of surviving the winter.

As you can see, your location means the answer you get as be more precise to your seasonal conditions.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline copperjessy

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:08:07 pm »
HI guys i live in Flemington NJ . should i feed them now or wait intill Apiguard is all done?

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:06:54 pm »
Feeding can be done as needed. Beware of potential robbing. As long as your not pulling honey off apigard treatment is no reason to stop feeding.

Some folks feed MegaBee  patties to induce laying. ( Pollen patties). Bee Pro is another brand. Not a bad idea unless it's really cold where you are.

My mentor has suggested I continue feeding due to the severe drought. I am praying my girls make it. I am now useing 2>1 ratio. My queen stopped laying for a bit so don't be too worried..Bees are far smarter than us...they know what to do. Best to leave them alone unless you feel there's a problem.
Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:15:56 pm »
Some folks feed MegaBee  patties to induce laying. ( Pollen patties). Bee Pro is another brand. Not a bad idea unless it's really cold where you are.

If you have done a fall requeening or split I have had similar situations. The substitute mentioned above seems to help somewhat. If not you may want to consider combining with a producing queen.

Offline copperjessy

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 08:09:53 pm »
Thats guys you been a lot of help. i will start feeding them now. Here in NJ is starting to get cooler now i hope they will start to eat . Thanks again