Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees all dead outside the hive entrance  (Read 3187 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
Bees all dead outside the hive entrance
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:32:54 pm »
All the bees in one of my top-bar hives died outside the hive entrance. There are essentially no dead bees inside the hive.

A few weeks ago, I noticed lots of bees dead on the ground just outside the hive entrance. At that time, other bees were sort of twitching around on the ground. Now they're all dead.

I have 4 other top-bar hives and 4 Langs in the same yard, and all the others seem fine.

1. Anyone know what could cause this behavior and the end result?
2. Do you think it's safe to reuse all the comb from this hive?

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: Bees all dead outside the hive entrance
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:50:08 pm »
Sounds like pesticide exposure but I would expect to see all the hives to show symptoms.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:06:24 pm »
Just as David said.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:16 pm »
any chance that you had a yellowjacket or wasp invasion?  many might be killed, including the queen, then the others might drift to queen right hives.

i have never lost an entire hive like this, but i have lost queens and many bees when the hive is overwhelmed.  nothing left for it but to combine the few survivors with another hive.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:49:45 pm »
My Aunt checked one of her hives today and found the same thing. Lots of dead and dying bees crawling around on the ground. She's going in tomorrow to further investigate.
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:52:57 am »
You probably have poison somewhere in the area. So far not all of the bees have found it. Once a bee in a hive finds it in a hive you may lose that hive. One by one you could lose them all.
You might want to move the hives from this area for a while.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:11:37 am »
any chance that you had a yellowjacket or wasp invasion?  many might be killed, including the queen, then the others might drift to queen right hives.

i have never lost an entire hive like this, but i have lost queens and many bees when the hive is overwhelmed.  nothing left for it but to combine the few survivors with another hive.....

No, kathyp, this was something systemic. You could just see it happening...bees left the hive to twitch on the ground, and then they died there. And ALL the dead bees (no survivors) are spread on the ground just outside the hive entrance. No bees died inside the hive. The hive body is totally empty. No dead bees on the bottom.

sweet bee: please let me know what your aunt discovers about her lost hive.

And what authorities would I contact in order to explore the cause of this? I have no idea where to begin. We do have a bee lab at Ohio State University...perhaps I should start there.

-Liz

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 09:42:39 am »
They are spraying soy beans here for spider mites. Beans are blooming.