Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pierco Frames and Lots of Bees on the inner cover  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Destruckdoz

• New Bee
Pierco Frames and Lots of Bees on the inner cover
« on: June 07, 2005, 04:00:37 am »
Hows it going guys? I just had a few of questions to ask. I have an oppurtunity to pick up a good ammount of pierco frames on a drive home to save a lot on shipping costs but how do you guys like them? i hear a lot of differing answers.Also, i have been peaking in to some of my hives and there are A LOT of bee's on the inner cover and telescoping cover, maybe they are crowded?

Thanks
Danny

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:24:46 am »
I have pierco in all my hives and they are great so for, bee's draw them out good and they are plenty strong, it also seem's that the bee's dont proprolize the as much as they do wood frames, I like them.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Pierco Frames and Lots of Bees on the inner cover
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 03:58:45 pm »
Quote from: Destruckdoz
but how do you guys like them?

People either love them or hate them.  Your going to have to decide for yourself :wink:

I personally don't like them.  Bees prefer wax to plastic, and I find the plastic ones flex too much when drawn and loaded.  I can't see spending more $$ for something that I find less appealing.  With that said, depending upon your savings, they might make sense for you.  As always, you need to weigh the cost to benefit.   If nothing else, it is probably worth a shot to try them.  I wouldn't go buy 100s until you are happy with them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 06:30:47 pm »
>I wouldn't go buy 100s until you are happy with them

That is wonderful advice on anything to do with beekeeping.  Don't get deep into anything until you've tried it on a small scale and you're happy with it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Pierco
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 07:11:29 pm »
I just bought some Pierco frames and the info that came with them suggests you spray them with sugar water.  It makes them more attractive to the bees.
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx