Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drones are good for something.  (Read 2134 times)

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
Drones are good for something.
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:54:07 pm »
My buckfast hive produces a decent amount of drones, being that I only use starter strips the bees can produce as much drone comb as they want.

So I took note of the following facts about drones:

1.  Drones are big and juicy.
2.  Drones do not have stingers
3.  Removing a few drones from my hives each week will have no negative affect.

I now take a select few volunteer drones from my buckfast hive and use them for tarantula feed :).  I got a brazilian black and white giant today, acanthoscurria brocklehursti.  It should grow to a legspan of 8-10 inches.  It is currently about 2-3 inches.  I dropped one live drone on top of the Tarantula, and I was startled to see the Tarantula jerk and take the drone out of the air.  It was pretty impressive, its amazing how fast they can move...  I will try an post some pictures in the fuchar...  For those interested, tarantulas are fairly cheap to both buy and to keep.  They don't eat much, they only need to be fed 1-2 times a week or less, and if you have bees you have a readily availible food supply.  Although, mixing up the diet is a good idea...  So mix up the diet with some wax moths and SHB larvae!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 02:27:51 am »
This seems like on a parr of growing your own hamsters to feed your pet snakes.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:32:09 am »
I've heard they taste like BBQ chicken...

anything