Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: a great visit with the bees  (Read 1440 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
a great visit with the bees
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:17:33 pm »
Since last week I came here quite discouraged about finding a few small hive beetles in 2 of my 4 hives I thought I should also share the enjoyment I had with my son along as queen spotter today.  It was a bluebird day with temps in the mid 70's so I was able to work all four hives without gloves even though we were pulling every frame in the brood boxes.  Two hives are booming with bees and brood and eggs.  The second weakest one has the most honey in the upper deep which surprised me.  That hive just quietly gets the job done.  In my weakest hive(which I have suspected to be queenless at times) we spotted a couple of deep frames of solid eggs so I was thrilled to see that, and later we saw the big beautiful queen in the upper deep.  We have a bit of brood and eggs in a couple of honey supers but I am sure they will fill these places with honey when they become available.  I was surprised not to have caught any SHB in my new sandwich container traps, but if the bees chased the beetles out that is fine with me.  As an added bonus we got to watch a bee chewing her way out of a cell.  So it was a great visit with the bees and a blessing to share it with my son.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: a great visit with the bees
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 09:49:33 pm »
Thats a great story! Hope you have many more experiences like that to share with your son. :)