Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Text Chat  (Read 10225 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Text Chat
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:46:42 pm »
Is everything ventrilo?  I thought there was a chat room, for text?  Really I can't figure out the ventrilo thing...

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Text Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:01:31 pm »
Have you got into it yet?
 If not, block the firewall in your security...Theres different pcs of time which you can block it for. I've been there a few times but it makes me feel uncomfortable...When I talk there it seems I stare at the wall,...waiting for the unknown. Theres a chat room too(regular chat, with a keyboard) that I've been to but theres never anybody using it...I usually have to jump thru hoops to remember where its at
 I think I like text chat better..Text is easier to control what you want to say...Chat is a more magical experience than Ventrilo.
 Let me know if you find the chatroom. I'll be glad to chat with you!
your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:27:57 am »
I type away and the other members either type back an answer or speak the answer to me. I have a microphone coming soon, but I actually like the typing. I agree with you that you can control more what comes out of your mouth. I may try both and see what I like.

Annette

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:13:56 am »
Hi Sharon,
If you have the ventrilo program downloaded to your computer,you can go to the very bottom of the main forum page.There you will see the ventrilo status showing who's online at that point in time.
In that little bow you will see beemaster.instantvent.net
Just click on that and it should launch the program and open it to the Bemmaster ventrilo server.
 As Annette said it has voice and text capabilities.If you are unable to hear or would prefer text,just let people know when you log in.Some people are not very fluent with keyboards and voice is a nice feature.
 It has also let a lot of us get to know each other better,but as I said,lots of people are more comfortable with texting,so we like providing both options. If you don't want to here the other chatter,you can mute the sound at the bottom of the ventrilo window or we have different rooms you can move to,but all share a common text window. Hope this helps!!                                    Ken

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:55:57 am »
In the Ventrilo window (once you're connected) there's a button on the right that says 'chat'.  Click it and the text chat window will open up.  You can listen to the voices and chat in text, if that's what you prefer.  A microphone is cheap, though, less than $10, it's really nice to get to know people via voice - you can have the best of all worlds!  :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:11:53 am »
Some people will enter and let everyone know they will just be listening in, which is fine. If you want to text chat that is fine also. If you want to chime in voice wise that is fine too. There's no pressure, its what you want to do, we're just glad to see you there.

One more thing, the ventrillo section is a powerful tool to have at our disposal, you can get answers fast, make new friends, really get to know people and get more personal with the members. I have made friends because of ventrillo. Dallas and Scott Derrick and I and even Jeff Jamirose,sp? Sorry Jeff, have even gotten to know each other whereby we have spoken over the phone. If you don't try it you are missing out, big time. Every Saturday Don, aka fatbeeman and some Wednesdays, Don is in ventrillo, and he listens and text chats. For those of you that don't know Don, he has been keeping bees a very long time, is a queen rearer, sells nucs, queens, teaches, is a small cell guy as well and is Very Unselfish, and approachable. Take advantage of ventrillo guys and girls, you won't regret it! Michael Bush was on and Don at the same time about two weeks ago or so, what more could you ask for??

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:08:35 pm »
Not sure what more I can add?! We average around 10 to 15 people nightly in Ventrilo now, often 2 dozen on Saturdays - that is many people voice chatting while interacting with those in text chat. If you haven't used it, nothing we can say will express the joy of making new friends, sharing personalities, busting each others chops (heck, we even moved the Mason/Dixon line up into Central Pennsylvania through the interaction of members getting to know each other) but you need to know that whether you are in voice or text, you are hearing and reading each other, making it a multi-senses experience.

Sure, text chat has a mystique about it, and I can imagine people staying in that format if that is where they are comfortable - but to have the voice option (which to the most part is very clear and quite active) really makes for fun listening even if you choose to always text.

There is lots of room for more people and Ventrilo can expand to many times more members then currently use it, so the ease of installation, quick setup and small resource usage makes it a great communication aid.

As JP said, you make friends, not just meet other members. And having your questions answered in the forums is great, but it reminds me of playing chess through the mail compared to the instant speed of voice/text chat. We've used it about 2 years now and all the original gang, plus a boom of new members has really added to the fun, where else can you talk with multiple Continents at once while surfing the Net or playing online games or whatever you are into?

Enough about Ventrilo, we still have a plain TEXT CHAT JAVA APPLET, no one really uses it since Ventrilo handles both voice and text so well - but if you choose to go to an empty room, just so you don't have to install a megabyte program on your computer, then I'll dig up the link (unless someone has it handy - I'm at work now) and post it here. Be warned though, it is a lonely place, meanwhile a dozen or members might be just a click away. This reminds me of a really wealthy guy I worked with who always kidded that he still had a black and white TV, because he was waiting for them to perfect color. Who knew back then that HD was coming, now he finally has a color TV, a really nice one. I like to think of Ventrilo Chat as color TV, it is a major step up from plain text chat, whether someone believes that or not. Again, you need to see for yourself, that's the only way to know.

As Buzzbee said, you can tell who is on Ventrilo from the forum MAIN PAGE at the very bottom in a white window, you'll see the list of who is currently online in chat - you need to refresh the page occasionally to see who came in or logged of because the little white box doesn't auto refresh. But if you already have Ventrilo installed, you click on the IP link in that window and it launches you right into our Ventrilo main Lobby where we all me and chat - then occasionally members spin off into the many other chatrooms for private conversations or when talking different topics or online gaming.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Lavy Garcia

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:13:45 am »
I type away and the other members either type back an answer or speak the answer to me. I have a microphone coming soon, but I actually like the typing. I agree with you that you can control more what comes out of your mouth. I may try both and see what I like.

Annette

I am pretty much agree with you that it would be really helpful stop our mouth to say any kind of harsh words.I also really like to make text and it make benefit in my typing speed.

anything