Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: moving brood frame from deep to medium above  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
moving brood frame from deep to medium above
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:50:57 pm »
Yesterday I checked the 2 supers we put on before we went away aprox 6 wks ago.  Only one frame had a tiny piece of comb. The rest were empty...but...did have bees corraling hive beetles in one corner of each super. Removed them and killed beetles. After torching all the frames and super I put one back on. I was going to leave it for a few days and see if they'd run any more beetles into it....then remove the first super (med) that I was hopeing she would lay in....pull a frame of brood from the deep and put it between a couple frames of honey or whatever. It would hang down into the deep partway and make a ladder for the Queen to use to get to that super and hopefully start laying there. Question: should I put empty frames on either side of the brood frame or honey frames. It has been fairly hot here in FL.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: moving brood frame from deep to medium above
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 05:24:11 am »
 Fill in the space on each side of the deep frames with medium frames. They'll more than likely build comb on the bottom of the deep frames that are hanging in the medium. You can cut that out later and put it into medium frames.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:10:55 am »
I have foundationless frames.....so they would be empty or with a very small comb started. I am concerned about chilling the brood...though may not be a problem in Central FL. I have frames with comb but it is filled with nectar or honey....will know when I open the super.  Guess what I need to know is ..will I be creating a problem putting one or two frames of brood in the medium super with empty frames on either side?

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 10:42:40 am »
Put a couple honey frames on each side. Then put an empty, then a partly drawn frame, then another empty. I'm assuming you're running 10 frame boxes and that'll give you ten frames across the medium. The bees will build out and move the honey up as needed.
 If you trying to remove the deep completely, you could cut the cut the brood out of the deep frames, then cut the comb in half lengthwise and secure the pieces into medium frames. Each deep frame will give you two medium frames.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 03:04:28 pm »
I moved one deep frame up..put honey each side. The super was full of capped honey so pulled 2 more frames and put emptys in their place.
Before I could get suited up early this morning the hive swarmed. Around 8:30.  They are in a tree top beside the hives. I have an empty set up incase they are interested. There are so many big old trees in the area they'll probably pick one of those.
I didn't look for a Queen and didn't disturb the brood nest other than to move that one frame. Wasn't too sure just what I should do after the swarm, but figured they had been back filling the brood nest, as suggested, and didn't have room...so gave them some. I can remove a few more frames of honey if you think I should. The palms are still blooming.
What a day...lost a swarm and had my first honey harvest...tho small.

anything