Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Neighbor Down ( 1/8mile ), Getting Bees. Should I be concerned.  (Read 6114 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Neighbor Down ( 1/8mile ), Getting Bees. Should I be concerned.
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:56:17 am »
a neighbor down the road from me is going to buy packages of bees.  He is a brand new newbee.

I am wondering if I must be extra concerned about the bees he is keeping robbing the bees I am keeping?

Should I be extra alert re: robbing?

Thanks Mucho~*~

Shar
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:20:16 pm by DayValleyDahlias »

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Neighbor Down the Road a Piece, Getting Bees. Should I be concerned.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:07:18 pm »
I'm just a novice, but I would think if robbing were an issue the likelihood of your colonies robbing each other would be just as real as his/hers down the road robbing yours (unless of course you only have one colony).

Anyway I would not worry about it, just take the normal controls you take against robbing during the appropriate season for you.

And of course welcome the new beekeeper and hopefully a new friendship ;)!
John 3:16

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:19:42 pm »
He's a piece? What type of neighbor is this?  Does he drive a pickup with a gun rack, have a loud motorcycle, have lots of tattoos or anything else suspicious?  Then I'd keep an eye on your hives, those bees are probably more likely to rob your hive, they adopt the personality of their owners. :-D

Seriously, you should not have any more to worry than if you have more than one hive.  Bees are all equally opportunists (although some races admittedly worse), and one of your hives is just as likely to turn on your other hives as much as the bees down the road or the bees in the tree. (or your bees rob out his hive :shock:)

Rick
Rick

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:33:09 pm »
I'd be more concerned with YOUR bees robbing his... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:08:16 pm »
I'd be more concerned with YOUR bees robbing his... :-D

Definitely!

Sharon, who's to say there aren't bees in your area now? You could have a keeper you're just unaware of or feral colonies in trees, etc...

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:10:22 pm »
put out a swarm trap!  :-)

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 01:25:20 pm »
I think that would be great :-D Get to know the person and when you need brood our they need it you could help each other out :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:52:49 pm »
He's a piece? What type of neighbor is this?  Does he drive a pickup with a gun rack, have a loud motorcycle, have lots of tattoos or anything else suspicious? 

Hey!! Thats me!!!

Offline IndianaHoney

• New Bee
    • Indiana Honey Farm
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 04:00:59 pm »
Robbing is an easy thing to stop, just provide water, and close the entrance with screen for a day, or put on an entrance reducer. Make sure there are no holes in the hive bodies, etc.  Also remember that you can make sure to create good habbits in this new beekeeper by helping him learn to inspect for brood diseases, mites, etc. That way you can help insure the safty of your hives as well as his. Help teach him those habbits right from the start to aviod future problems, and he is likely to welcome the help in learning.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 05:03:53 pm »
Good, strong hives w/ entrance reducers when the flow begins to dwindle is the best way to avoid your bees being robbed.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 06:09:02 pm »
He's a piece? What type of neighbor is this?  Does he drive a pickup with a gun rack, have a loud motorcycle, have lots of tattoos or anything else suspicious?  Then I'd keep an eye on your hives, those bees are probably more likely to rob your hive, they adopt the personality of their owners. :-D

I would rather have someone like that than DH's X....she is robbing us dry & robbing the kids of any chance at a normal productive life.  Succubus, isn't that what they call em?? She looks like a weeble with an ugly scowl...hmmm, maybe I should give a go at letting people know what I really think... :evil: :roll: I'm supposed to pray for those I don't like...every time I try I picture a bus careening out of control, her in a crosswalk & smile...**sigh** I woudn't worry about the ones up the road & like others say, you might have a new friend!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »
 I don't see much difference in him getting bees or you adding another hive to yours.
  The difference is in the bees. I have one hive that will try to start robbing others at the drop of a hat. I tried to community feed a full 1/4 mile away this past weekend. Still went after the other hives and the already bee cleaned supers of comb in my carport.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 10:10:51 pm »
Wowie,

Thank you all for the great information.  The fellow is a really nice guy, he actually became interested in bees because he saw that I had.  I leant him my books, and have attempted to give him good inof, told him about the forum. 

I will do as you all suggest, and watch for robbing!

Many thank to you all~*~*~*~

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 10:57:32 pm »
How do you know robbing is going on?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:15:12 pm »
Ha ha, now I see what you mean by "a piece"!  Funny how different areas use different words differently, and how people interpret them!

Here I am thinking the neighbor was "a piece of work" meaning something negative about him, when you meant down the road "a little ways"!! Ooops! :roll:

:-D

Rick

Rick

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 06:19:46 pm »
Oops, yes sorry about being unclear...sometimes I use what I think are "Southern" terms in my language.  Although I am not Southern obviously since I have never left Monterey Bay...LOL

Yup he is oh around, 1/8 of a mile away I'd guess...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 06:42:13 pm »
Oops, yes sorry about being unclear...sometimes I use what I think are "Southern" terms in my language.  Although I am not Southern obviously since I have never left Monterey Bay...LOL

Yup he is oh around, 1/8 of a mile away I'd guess...

That's not down the road a piece, that's a neighbor.  A piece is over 1/2 mile, least ways according to those of tarheel extraction around here.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
Re: Neighbor Down ( 1/8mile ), Getting Bees. Should I be concerned.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 08:47:10 pm »
When I lived in Missouri you had to travel a spell to get a fur piece down the road?
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 09:15:41 pm »
hey Bobb!! I LOVE Durango!! I used to take the train from Durango to go backpacking years ago!!
Oh yeh, welcome to the forums!!
 Hey Sharon, My buddy Paul got bees(just one package) and he didnt tend to them much..they flew away and came to my house I think! But I didnt tell Paul that cuz he mite want them back!!
He lived "Down aways" from me...AS the crow flies, about a sixteenth of a mile!
your friend,
john

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:52:47 pm »
Thank you. I you're ever in town look me up.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:12:20 am by Bobb »
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

anything