Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to convince the swarm it WANTS the new home?  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Barny

• House Bee
How to convince the swarm it WANTS the new home?
« on: May 20, 2005, 10:02:53 pm »
So recently I've been nabbing a few swarms and am having a hard time of one of them.  I nabbed them this morning around 9:30-10:00.  They were about 12-15 feet high in a mulberry tree.  I had a brood super with 9 wax foundations and 1 fully drawn honey foundation.  I was using a pole with a 5 gal bucket attached and rods of varying length to make longer.  Anyhow, I shook the swarm and dumped it in the box and quickly popped the lid on.  I waited a few minutes and about half made their way back, so I repeated the process a couple of times.  I returned about 5 hours later and I noticed no movement in the super.  I removed the top and pulled out a frame that had about a baseball size grouping on it.  I quickly put the lid back on and looked in the tree.  The old swarm spot was about 1/2 the size of the original--- starded out about football and now is about softball.  I reshook the bees and redumped again.  I will be taking them away soon at dusk.  I was just wondering how does one "convince" them they want to stay?

Updates coming soon

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 10:08:41 pm »
If you didn't get the queen on the first shake, they won't stay they'll go back to her. :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 10:12:47 pm »
Also, I've heard that it's easier to get them to stay if you give them a frame of brood to care for.

Beth

Offline Barny

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 12:43:13 am »
Well about half the bees were in the hive and about half were back in the tree.  I closed off the bottom board and shook them again and quickly, but gently closed the lid.  Most of the swarm is now in the super so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I bet I have 70-90% of the total swarm.  Makes me want a bee-vac with an extendable attachment.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 01:19:52 am »
Should a said something this morning. Think the rest of them are going to be there in the morning? I got Vac.

I'm just thinking that if you didn't get them all, you probably missed the queen.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 10:04:36 am »
As everyone has already said, the most important thing to do is to get the queen.  Another thing that's useful is any kind of swarm lure (lemongrass oil, a light spray of Lemon pledge, one of the commercial lures from Brushy Mt or Mann Lake etc.).  This will sometimes help get them together in the hive instead of on the limb.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Barny

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 06:43:21 pm »
Checked on the babies the past couple of days and it seems as if they like their new spot.  I managed to pick up another very large swarm and a small hive built into an old pump tank yesterday too.  I also checked out a house near lake allen henry that had honey dripping down the sides of the house... ewww.  Hopefully next week I will go back and try to get comb, honey, and luckily a big hive with a queen.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 06:48:12 pm »
It had honey dripping down the side of the house? Must have gotten hot inside the wall where the comb was melting. That's the only reason I can think of that would cause the honey to run out. That sounds very messy.

Glad they swarm is staying now.

Beth

Offline Barny

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 02:48:14 am »
Well I now am involved in quite a few hives.  The hive in the house is not a swarm, but a large hive that has built lots of comb and filled it with mesquite (sp?) and wildflower honey.  A bee-vac will be required, but alas this is for another thread!

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 12:56:52 pm »
Stay tuned, boys and girls, for the next adventure from the Lubbock Gang!

(if this doesn't make sense to you, read:

www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=2562&highlight=snake

it will make your day......and make you wonder!)

Next thing you know, they will be going on the road with their comedy show.  We might even see them on Leno!

Sorry, Barney, but I guess because you are from Lubbock, you get lumped in with Jerrymac and Firetool.  

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 03:55:55 pm »
Barny is an innocent bystander.

Hey Barny. Both Firetool And I have beevacs you know.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Barny

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 10:56:42 am »
Hey Jerry thanks for the offer.  If I cannot locate the one in the warehouse I will probably take you up on the offer.

Fuzzybeekeeper - I have the pictures to match!  Just trying to figure out my buddies software for his new camera, but I'm sure they will be great!  Got two more hives yesterday along with about 20 supers!!  Fun, Fun, Fun, oh and did I mention it tied the record for heat yesterday, 105F :twisted:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 11:13:49 am »
That hot huh? I knew it went over a hunernt but didn't know that much.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 05:47:18 pm »
Michael Bush wrote:
Another thing that's useful is any kind of swarm lure (lemongrass oil, a light spray of Lemon pledge, one of the commercial lures from Brushy Mt or Mann Lake etc.).

I was just wondering how long the lemongrass oil would work effectively if used in a swarm trap?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 06:59:30 pm »
The bees still show an interest in it a few months later.  The commercial lures probably release the smell more evenly but I've had just as good of luck with either.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 10:13:22 pm »
dang you guys I am starting to wish that midland and lubbock were closer together. sound like you guys are having fun. also I am having trouble with absconding swarms( I have lost two now and kept two. as you know I tested lemon grass oil today. but if bush reads this again when you use it in a hive do you  mix it with something or just put a few drops on the wood?
billiet

Offline Barny

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 02:39:18 am »
I think there are a lot of ferel swarms in our area this year!  And yes Bill, I too wish you could join along in some of the fun.