Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Locating a Swarm Trap on a Tree  (Read 4345 times)

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
Re: Locating a Swarm Trap on a Tree
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:12 pm »
One other handy swarm catchin devise is the Hipps swarm retriever.  Do a search for it    I copied the design and use a telescoping paint pole attached to the bucket.  I have safely caught swarms with my feet on the ground,   hanging off branches over 20 ft high
Yes! I have a very long telescoping pole, too. I have just yanked the bristles from a small scrub brush designed for a standard threaded pole handle and will be bolting it to the bottom of a bucket. The thing I like about it is the slight angle will make unloading the bees a bit easier (maybe. I'll report findings)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 08:54:14 pm »
I cut the end of wood paint roller handle to get the threads.    I glued in the center of a plywood disk and screwed it to the bottom of a bucket.  I have a string that runs up the pole, through the disk and holds the lid and with a pull flips it in place.  I simply give the swarm a jab with the setup and pull the string.  My bucket is well vented so I can leave them in it to take home or pour them into an ready hive body in the back of the truck. 

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 12:56:34 am »
I use a Hipps swarm retriever alot.
I caught 14 swarms last year using this bucket and pole setup.
I have different sizes of conduit for different heights.
I can go with a 20ft pole or I have one that is 3 ft.
I love this piece of equipment.
I also have a Owens Bee Vac with extra cages, it's light enough I have been on ladders vacuuming bees off walls and such.
Then I also use a deep hive setup and have the bees walk right in.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 04:31:16 pm »
I've actually caught more swarms 2 feet off the ground than I have above arm's reach.  The only swarm traps I hang high are the houses I go to year after year that seem to always get swarms in certain places such as one house that always gets 3 or 4 swarms on a branch of their cottonwood tree.  The odd thing is that if I put a swarm trap in the general vicinity of said tree I always catch swarms at that particular house.
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 08:51:41 am »
I've actually caught more swarms 2 feet off the ground than I have above arm's reach.  The only swarm traps I hang high are the houses I go to year after year that seem to always get swarms in certain places such as one house that always gets 3 or 4 swarms on a branch of their cottonwood tree.  The odd thing is that if I put a swarm trap in the general vicinity of said tree I always catch swarms at that particular house.
I have a similar spot at a home here in MI.  Their spot is the side of their house where the fireplace chimney meets under the eave. Dont know why.   The bee's cant get in.     I get called there at least twice a year.  It a really tough spot to shake a swarm.  I always miss a bunch.  Also a tough spot to hang a trap but maybe a tree near by would draw them away