Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Day 3: Queen Cage Removal + Bonus  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Day 3: Queen Cage Removal + Bonus
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:55 pm »
I removed the queen cages today, day 3. As you all said, my worrying was unfounded, and I suspect that the group of bees near the entrance were indeed there because the queen cage was on the bottom board near there. On the other hive (after learning from my previous error), I found this hanging from the bottom of the queen cage when I pulled it out:

The bees hanging all over it and working (I inspected closely to ensure the queen wasn't there) were reluctant to give up their work. I got buzzed a few times, but no bees landed on me or strenuously objected to my bumbling interference as I shook them off into the hive.

In addition, they were building comb out of the foundation like crazy. No problems with plastic foundation here, in either hive. They were well covered on three frames in each hive, busy building. I even saw some stored sugar water in some cells. From what I've been reading around here, I don't think I'll refill the feeders until I put the next deep on top, depending on how things in the plant world are going at that time.

My slatted racks and SBB are coming in later this week. I'd been planning to wait until I inspect the hives again in two weeks before installing them, to minimize the disturbance to the hives. Is this a good plan, or should I do it right away?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
Re: Day 3: Queen Cage Removal + Bonus
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 08:05:58 pm »
Beautiful comb... 

Bee1
Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline amandrea

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:24:32 pm »
Hived my bees Wednesday, took the queen cage out Saturday. It was obvious the queen was accepted when I removed her from the package. Tried to wipe off the bees on the cage and they were replaced by more while quite a few were gathering on my hand. After four tries I finally saw her.

Because of the clumseyness off the cage and the density of the bees I left I frame out. This is were they built there first comb and in removing the queen cage I accquired some comb much the same as in the above picture.

I"ll wait until Spring inspection to correct my mistake of leaving a frame out.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:30:33 pm »
If they haven't built two much yet, Put the frame back in now. You do not want wild/extra comb going every in the brood chamber. The sooner you can correct a boo-boo the better.
doak

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:46:20 pm »
I agree with doak.They will make a lot of ugly comb with a frame missing,making it hard to remove frames either side of the extra space!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 11:05:21 pm »
Which is why, among several other reasons, I do a direct release.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin