Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 8 Frames Hive  (Read 3730 times)

Offline drone1952

• New Bee
    • STIRI DIN STUPARIT (Apinews)
8 Frames Hive
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:32:56 am »
Hi,
Reading beekeeping magazines and looking to beekeeping sites I did find out that many beekeepers are using 8 frames hive. What are the advantages working with 8 frames? It’s different management?
Thanks for help.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: 8 Frames Hive
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:48:58 am »
I run all 8 frame deeps.

They are 2 1/4 inches less wide, so have the center of gravity closer to your body when lifting/moving around so are much easier to handle. They also weigh in almost 20% lighter. If weight when full of honey is a concern, can goto 8 frame mediums instead for all boxes, they work fine as brood as well as supers.

If you do pollination services, you can fit and extra row of 8 framers on the truck as apposed to using 10 framers, and the growers are concerned with frames of bees rented more than width of the box.

The management is the same between 8's and 10's

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:17:51 pm »
The management is the same.  I have 8frm. meds.  I am 53, 5'2" so  they are easier for me to handle & keep on handling on my own long into the future God willing.  You do have to buy more equipment initially but for me it was better than buying one kind then in a few years HAVING to switch over.  Good Luck!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:34:01 pm »
I wish I had started with 8frames. Now I feel sort of stuck because it would just be too expensive to start buying everything again.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:49:16 pm »
The expense due to the extra equipment you would need is why I have not gone with 8 frames.  The same argument against going to all mediums that I would use.  Money is always a factor whether it is a hobby or not.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:21 pm »
I know of at least one club which pools its members orders of woodenware so that they can benefit from reduced shipping costs.  They purchase from one of the less known suppliers and the savings can drive the per hive costs for an 8-frame setup to about $110.  That's for 5 medium boxes, 50 frames (no foundation), solid cedar bottom board and a migratory top. Pretty good when you compare to the prices charged by the larger suppliers.  Worth considering if their are a group of you in the same area looking to add hives and transition to the 8-frame system.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:31:11 pm »
I know of at least one club which pools its members orders of woodenware so that they can benefit from reduced shipping costs.  They purchase from one of the less known suppliers and the savings can drive the per hive costs for an 8-frame setup to about $110.  That's for 5 medium boxes, 50 frames (no foundation), solid cedar bottom board and a migratory top. Pretty good when you compare to the prices charged by the larger suppliers.  Worth considering if their are a group of you in the same area looking to add hives and transition to the 8-frame system.

SH

With Western Bee, this time of year, you can get 5 medium supers (either 8 or 10 frame) with 50 frames and 50 sheets of foundation for $80.00.  Add a bottom board and migratory top and you're still under $100.00.  If  you with 8 frames you can add a 6th budget rate box as you'll have enough frames and foundation and come closer to the $100.00 mark.  Then add about $30.00 for shipping.   Still a pretty good deal.  Double the order or go in with someone else and you can increase your dollar value and reduce your shipping cost.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:36:12 am »
I get a complete 8 frame medium hive from brushy mountain for $105.00

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 03:59:08 pm »
It's not difficult to use 8 frame boxes even if your bottom box, screened bottom board, etc. is 10 frame.  I did that last year:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2008/04/adding-boxes-to-hives.html

All you need is a 2X4 or something similar.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 05:03:19 pm »
It's not difficult to use 8 frame boxes even if your bottom box, screened bottom board, etc. is 10 frame.  I did that last year:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2008/04/adding-boxes-to-hives.html

All you need is a 2X4 or something similar.

Linda T in Atlanta

I'll check out your blog for this.  Don't remember this
Thanks for the info
Annette

anything