Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Keeper vs. Bee Haver  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Bee Keeper vs. Bee Haver
« on: September 30, 2009, 05:16:04 pm »
In the past, I've seen a few posts about "Bee Havers" vs. "Bee Keepers".  From what I can tell, the difference seems to be in the effort put into taking care of hive(s) and continual learning about the Practice of Bee Keeping.

I suspect, some of the more experienced members of the forum have their own opinion on what makes a good bee keeper and the poor practices of a bee haver. I'd be interesting in hearing from the "old salts" on this topic.  Most of us want to be good stewards of our hives. However, we may lack the experience and knowledge of the seasoned vets. What practices or behaviors are common with good bee keepers?   :?

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
Re: Bee Keeper vs. Bee Haver
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:43:16 pm »
You must be multi talented in the bee business.  Meaning you have to be knowledgeable on bees and local plants of course.  Also you need to be a truckdriver, mechanic, fork lift operator, wood worker, inventor, all things we do all the time if hired out would put many of us commercial guys out quick. 

I would say the best beekeepers I know are the jack of all trades type people and eager to learn how others are doing things to try themselves. 

Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:13:38 pm »
I am a first year beek, but I do have my opinion. A "bee keeper" puts the health and welfare of the hive above the harvest. A "bee haver" or "bee exploiter" harvests all the honey, at the expense of the bees' health and welfare.

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:59:02 pm »
I would say that a beek tries for best (or better) practice in management of their livestock, given conditions in their environment and considerations for their own objectives.  A bee haver, on the other hand, either does not seek knowledge for better management, or does not apply it.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:35:53 am »
Hmmm...depends who's definitions you use.  If you use George Imirie's (http://pxbacher.home.comcast.net/~pxbacher/PinkPages/Alphabetical_Index.html) , who coined the term, a bee-keeper is somebody who does things George's way, and a bee haver is everybody else.  a master beekeeper, but highly opinionated (as we all know, opinionated being a rarity in the beekeeping world!!  :-D ).

It varies widely.  Some people like to have the bees, take care of them, but not a huge focus on harvest, not a lot of time to invest, but do well.  Some are focused on more bees.  Some on more honey.  Some on pollination.  Some commercial, sideliners, hobbyists.  Somebody can not give a fig about bees but care for his beekeeping business perfectly and make lots of money.  How one runs their bees will vary widely within those focuses.

But to put insulting labels on it is not so dignified, imho, don't get too caught up in beeing a "beekeeper" or a "beehaver".  If you have a beehive, you are a beekeeper.  If you intentionally neglect the hive and let the hive get taken over by disease and swarming, then you are not a good beekeeper.  If you do everything just right and take care of them perfectly, then you can apply to become a "Master Beekeeper".

Rick, a behaving beekeeper
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:12:36 pm by Scadsobees »
Rick

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:05:02 pm »
If you can completely comprehend the biology of the honeybee and the social system inside the hive, knowing what honeybees do in their entire life, you are a " Beekeeper "  :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 09:40:47 pm »
I don't think I'm a bee-haver, I'm just a lazy beekeeper.  :)  The difference is that a bee-haver doesn't know why he's doing or not doing anything, while a lazy beekeeper knows exactly why he's not doing it.  :)

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 09:43:23 pm »
    "The master accomplishes more and more by doing less and less until finally he accomplishes everything by doing nothing." --Laozi, Tao Te Ching

"Progress doesn't come from early risers - progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." --Robert Heinlein

"It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential."--Bruce Lee
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 11:07:40 pm »
I think beekeeping is a science.  Most certainly I maintain my hives to the best of my ability, but am often awed at the outcome, even puzzled sometimes.  Like anything I've taken a vested interest in, the farther I go, the more I learn how little I know compared to what I am certain of.  I think its the strife to learn more about the science of bees that makes beekeepers.  IMHO

David

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 11:30:47 pm »
The term "Beehaver" is just a term to insult a beekeeper who has doubts about how and if he's doing the bee thing correctly.
Im a beekeeper who has bees.
 The question now is, "Who is a seasoned veteran" of beekeeping?. Im going into my 4th season and I definitely consider myself a beginner still. Somebody who has the gall to even consider themselves a seasoned veteran is probably the same person who does a crossword puzzle using a pen :-D

your friend,
john

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 12:05:50 am »
I think you got it right.. just misspelled..... the key to "bee keeping" is understanding "behavior"     :-D :-D :-D
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 12:26:51 pm »
What practices or behaviors are common with good bee keepers?   :?

To get back to the original question...

The answer is: that depends.  Every beekeeper has a different opinion on what is best.  I think probably the most common one would be using movable frames.  Once you get past that...whew..langstroth vs tob-bar, foundation type, box type, feeding, treatments or not and what kind, harvesting methods, etc...

Really...you have to learn and try the different ways and do what works for you.  It doesn't matter what you decide to do, somebody WILL tell you that you are doing it wrong.

Rick
Rick

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 12:43:34 pm »
What practices or behaviors are common with good bee keepers?   :?

To get back to the original question...

The answer is: that depends.  Every beekeeper has a different opinion on what is best.  I think probably the most common one would be using movable frames.  Once you get past that...whew..langstroth vs tob-bar, foundation type, box type, feeding, treatments or not and what kind, harvesting methods, etc...

Really...you have to learn and try the different ways and do what works for you.  It doesn't matter what you decide to do, somebody WILL tell you that you are doing it wrong.

Rick

I agree, it seems that what works for some doesn't work for other or they have had different experiences.  Lots of variables in beekeeping.  Some have good luck with excluders some don't for example. 

David

Offline giant pumpkin peep

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 12:18:11 am »
you also must remember that you ask 5 beekeepers a question you ghet 7 different answers :roll: I think anyone who wants to help out the bee can bee called whatever they want. I couldv'e left my super on till the first frost and milk the bees for every drop of honey, instead I put on the feeder and lost count at 40lbs of suger.  :-\
I like pumpkins!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 03:56:48 am »
Hello,

When I bought my first equipment from an old bee-person, he told me that I should not keep bees, but let the bees keep me.  So far though, I have been spending a lot of time and money keeping bees.

As for as behaving, though, I'm not going to comment.

Lone
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:39:16 am by Lone »