Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How late is too late to start a #3 package in S.E. Wisconsin?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
I have had good success so far with 2 hives started with packages installed @6 weeks ago.  Have come up with another hive and can get bees from GA. around the 12th of June.  Forgoing any honey expectations, can i get a healthy hive established that will survive the winter?  Or should I just wait till next spring and start with packages again.  Added a deep to both my hives last week and checked them today.  Building new comb on 2 or 3 frames in both upper supers.  I am very pleased, especially with the attitude of the bees.  They are very easy to be around, I can't believe the are so gentle. Thanks in advance for your help.  All of your input was appreciated on my feeding question a few weeks ago and  I am confident you'll come through again.  mb

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
Re: How late is too late to start a #3 package in S.E. Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:58:55 am »
Go for it! Don't look for a crop of honey but if they build up fast you could get some. If you could give them some brood and eggs from your other hives, that would give them a boost. I would also feed them.

Good luck,
Eddie
God bless Us all!!

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:46:45 pm »
You still have plenty of time.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:05:54 pm »
Sure they can.  Keep in mind that we are in the middle of swarm season, and that will conclude around the middle of june, and a package of bees is just a "shook" swarm.

Keep the feed on them until they get the comb all drawn out.

Rick
Rick

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:48:20 pm »
Thanks!!