Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to bees, Jacksonville FL  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Ryanjax

• Brood
New to bees, Jacksonville FL
« on: February 11, 2013, 05:51:21 pm »
I'm Ryan.  Never done the beekeeping thing before, but here goes nothing.  I have two hives and will be getting my bees mid-March.

I entered my first hive a few weeks ago when I helped a friend move two nucs to regular sized boxes.  We also moved two other hives to sunnier locations.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: New to bees, Jacksonville FL
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:56:51 pm »
Welcome and enjoy the ride!  Lots of fun and lots to learn--which for me is a lot of the fun.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:25:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Ryan.  Sounds like you have someone local to help you along.  You may look into a local bee club also.  Good luck with your bees, when you get em.

Joe

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:34:12 pm »
Welcome Ryan, you've got some good resources to count on up there...enjoy!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:17:08 am »
Welcome to the forum Ryan. Here in Jacksonville we have the Jax Beekeeper Association club. Our next meeting is on February 18, 7:00 PM at the Agriculture Center, 1010 McDuff Ave. Third Monday of the month.  We try to have a guest speaker every month.
This month it is:
Development on Rulemaking on Bee Removals, Mr. Michael J. Page, Chief Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control Florida Dept. of Agriculture Consumer Services.
We are having Mr. Page speak because this has been a very controversial topic due to the recent rule changes.
Our web site is: Jaxbees.com.
We have approximately 200 members. Last month we had 100 people attend the meeting. The doors are open at 6:30, a lot of people come early to talk to the other beeks.
If you come to the meeting, let me know, I'm the VP.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ryanjax

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:03:47 am »
Welcome to the forum Ryan. Here in Jacksonville we have the Jax Beekeeper Association club. Our next meeting is on February 18, 7:00 PM at the Agriculture Center, 1010 McDuff Ave. Third Monday of the month.  We try to have a guest speaker every month.
This month it is:
Development on Rulemaking on Bee Removals, Mr. Michael J. Page, Chief Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control Florida Dept. of Agriculture Consumer Services.
We are having Mr. Page speak because this has been a very controversial topic due to the recent rule changes.
Our web site is: Jaxbees.com.
We have approximately 200 members. Last month we had 100 people attend the meeting. The doors are open at 6:30, a lot of people come early to talk to the other beeks.
If you come to the meeting, let me know, I'm the VP.
Jim

Thanks for the heads up Jim.  I don't see why I can't make it.  Is the agriculture center the same as the extension office?  I've been out there to get soil samples tested before.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:29 am »
Jim, if at all possible can you post a video of Mr. Page's talk or post at least the gist of it? I'd be interested to hear what he says.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »
Scott,
I will try to get a video of his presentation.

Ryan,
I believe so, yes.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:27:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum.