Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible dead queen in Ft. Lauderdale  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
    • My myspace page for beekeeping
Possible dead queen in Ft. Lauderdale
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:17:10 am »
I went into my hive today to see how the shb problem was looking. Havent been in ther for a while.

Only 1 10 frame box. The 2 frames on one side are still empty but the others are being filled nicely. Until today of course.

I lit my smoker  gave the entrance a few puffs and popped the lid. I then gave the bees another quick puff or 2 and removed the 2 empty frames so I could have a look at the inside of the box. I did see a few hive beetles on the inside of the lid and killed them. Then I went back to the box to smoke them and the smoker went out. So as I am wrestleing with the smoker fully gloved Florida weather kicks in and it starts pouring oout of nowhere.  The bees started getting angry so I decide to abort and put the 2 empty frames back in to call it a day. As I was doing that I thought I saw the queen on the bottom board screen curled up in a ball. Things were getting nasty and hostile but, I am pretty sure it was her. If it was her  I am thinking I must have hurt her in removing those frames. I will confirm when the hive and weather calm down.

So my question is what do I want to do if it was her?

Let them make a new queen? I keep reading that is what they do in nature. It is still hot here so I dont know that weather is an issue.

Buy one asap? If so where can I order one in Florida?

Thanks, :?

Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Possible dead queen in Ft. Lauderdale
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:36:17 am »
Many people have gray hair from worrying about what MIGHT be. Wait 5 days and look for eggs. If you don't find any, then is the time to worry.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dogdrs

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:47:09 pm »
I agree, wait and see if you find eggs.  If she was killed then you should find queen cups.  I'm over here in Tampa area and I think if the hive was already healthy that there is enough time to make a new queen.  The weather is going to be warm for quite a while yet.  If you want to buy one I know a queen breeder in Lakeland that will mail you one. 

Offline Animator

• House Bee
    • Bee Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:53:58 pm »
Ow many hives do you have ?  I am always interested in meeting others in the area to network.   I work in Fort Lauderdale.
Always up for a coffee and bee talk.
Mike

anything