Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cold snap  (Read 3346 times)

Offline ktbearpaws

• House Bee
Cold snap
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:16:15 pm »
I'm supposed to get my bees on Easter, and I was wondering.....
We have been known to have a cold snap or two after Easter. At times, even a snow isn't uncommon.
"What should I do in case a cold spell should come after I have installed my bees into their new homes?
Or is this not a real concern?"

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Cold snap
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:00:28 am »
You better have an internal feeder or food source.

I hear some every year that lose hives from cold snaps after they installed bees on foundation. Packages start arriving in Pennsylvania next week. Crazy if you ask me. But since nobody asked...I'll just keep mumbling to myself....  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:06:54 am »
Many years ago,  due to circumstances beyond my control,  I had to install packages in a snow storm and they all made it fine.

If delaying a day makes for better weather,  keep them in your garage or basement and feed them thru the screen.   If it is a longer cold spell, go ahead and install them and make sure you give them syrup inside as Bjorn has suggested.  An inverted jar on the tops of the frames that allows them to cluster under it is best.   Also warm syrup is taken better.  If they syrup is too cold they won't take it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ktbearpaws

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:46:29 pm »
Any extra precautions I should take, should it get cold after I have installed them in their new hive?
I mean......Aside from feeding syrup..... 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:14:11 pm »
Keep the entrance reducer on and set to the small hole until enough bee activity creates a traffic jam,and don't put on more boxes than you need.it will be easier for the bees to conserve heat.

anything