Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm lure.  (Read 1341 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Swarm lure.
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:19:50 pm »
Just wanted to put a pic up since I described this in an earlier post.
It's my lemongrass lure made from a lab grade plastic pipette.   The smell comes through all summer Long.

Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
Re: Swarm lure.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:22:29 pm »
Do you just fill the end with oil and cut off what sticks out past the comb?

Offline Simon

• House Bee
Re: Swarm lure.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:41:49 am »
Here's an idea that might work like Bailey's pipettes.  I found that some eye drops have measured doses stored in miniature vials/pipettes with a neat little replaceable caps.  The plastic looks to be the same stuff as the pipettes and so probably has the same permeability for the lemony smell to get out. The blurry picture below is of a Cellufresh eye lubricant drops vial.  A box comes with 30 of the little vials and each vial originally contains about 1 cc of basically saline solution, so nothing nasty to bees.  The only problem I forsee is that once the initial seal is broken, they are not longer air-tight, but that shouldn't be a problem if they are placed pointy end up.  A thumb tack through the flat end would be perfect to secure one in your swarm trap.  I will try a few when spring arrives here.

Simon