Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: to smoke or not to smoke  (Read 6670 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: to smoke or not to smoke
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 11:26:29 am »
I like the cotton wads from dadant but they are pricey, so I've switched to burlap, which I love. A friend likes wood chips. As Brendhan mentioned be careful using anything that puts off a heavy resin. I think the real test of a good smoking material would be something that burns long and cleanly.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 05:38:27 pm »
Just a few puffs at the entrance and then a couple when you lift the cover off and that should do it.  I use pine needles cause they are plentifull and free. I have not had a problem with my honey having a smokey taste even with all the smoke we had during the wildfires.

Offline Holycow

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 06:45:57 pm »
I use pine needles (when I am up far enough north to gather some). I will give burlap a try since that seems to be the standard.  I shoot like 2-3 good puffs into the front door (listen to them getting busy inside) then maybe 10 seconds later pop the lid and put 1 or 2 puffs in there to clear the area on top and to "let them know I'm there".
 I usually sit the smoker somewhere close with the smoke blowing toward the area where I'm standing.
 If the weather is good I will sometimes pop the top without smoke, but I've never tried to seperate supers without using the steps I mentioned above... Also I typically am not wearing a suit so things can get bad in a hurry without ole 'smokey.
--Jeff

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 07:29:05 pm »
    i try not to use a smoker when working the bees but since their mood changes with the weather and foraging conditions, it's good to have a lit smoker on standby just in case you suddenly need it.  i've found to my dismay a very gentle colony can suddenly become very defensive.  a strong honeyflow usually doesn't make them defensive.  i've found the periods of dearth to be deadlier in terms of aggression.   maybe because during a honeyflow many of the foragers are out gathering and the rest are busy doing other stuff not like in a dearth, more bees stay home and they want to defend what food they have knowing it's hard to come by.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 01:24:15 am »
  I use burlap, pine needles and wood shavings.  I've used cotton socks and blue jeans and other natural fibers and other chemically untreated (except for dye) stuff.  Currently I'm using cedar shavings since that is what I have available.  They were what was in a bag of kindling at a camp site two years ago.  I have burlap available also but am not using it now.  I like the way I can pack in the shavings and still keep good airflow and a long duration burn.  I've not had much trouble with tar or build up that I can't quickly scrap off the smoker.

I just need to get an ammo can so I can transport a hot smoker without worrying too much about 'spreading' the gift of fire.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 08:03:41 am »
The ammo can is a great idea! If I stoke my smoker up good, it will burn for an hour. People often stop me and tell me that my truck is on fire. I guess I could empty it, but my three bee yards are several miles apart.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan