Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Forage Blog: early June  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Forage Blog: early June
« on: June 07, 2008, 11:31:13 pm »
Greetings all,

I decided to take a little drive & walk around the area and see what kind of forage plants are happening around the wetlands at the moment.  Try to figure out why my hives seem to be so productive all the time.   It was a bit late and cool to catch any honeybees "in the act" but here some potential sources for today - more updates to come: (right-click->"view image" for larger/full size):

A lot of cow vetch (loads o'blackberries in background too)

More vetch with some aster(?) behind

Not too cold for the bumblers!

Birdsfoot trefoil

Crown vetch, clovers, more cow vetch along the side of the road

Here's a view of my apiary/house from across the wetlands.  I didn't realize there were sooo many blackberries over here too!  :shock:

That's it for today.  The blackberries have loads of buds... if the weather warms up it's gonna get scary busy around here very soon!

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Forage Blog: early June
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:43:52 am »
you seem to be a couple of weeks earlier than i am.  i have a lot of vetch, but have not seen the bees touch it.  bumblebees seem to get at it some.  raspberries are just finishing, but because of the cold and wet, they are not as good as last year.  i have some white clover and some crimson.  lots of red.  the blackberries are at least 2 weeks away with good weather.  the locust trees are blooming and they were hard at that today.

it's not that there is no food.  just that the weather has kept them from bringing it in.  snow level was 4000 feet the other day.  still running the heater and using the electric blanket  :-)

i'll try for pics on Monday.  tomorrow i get to tour my sons ship.  it's up for rose fest.  he even made the news, but the spelled his name wrong  :-(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.