Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new bee vs old bee  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
new bee vs old bee
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:54:50 pm »
can you see the differance from a new bee vs old bee.  Hope to see without opening the hive to check brood
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: new bee vs old bee
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:13:28 pm »
New bees are fuzzy and because of the fuzz, noticeably lighter in color.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:58 pm »
If you are looking at bees entering and don't open the hive, you are seeing old bees. New bees don't fly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:18:29 pm »
This is an interesting topic! I will have to check the fuzz and color out next time I go do inspections. I also agree with iddee. The bees working are older, the nurse bees are younger and stay in the hive. However, do the nurse bees take cleansing flights?

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:21:38 pm »
so much for that lol.  so whats the easiest way to know if they are hatching yet?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:24:45 pm »
The queen lays from the center out. Find a frame with eggs and larva in the center surrounded with capped brood. The eggs and larva will be second generation.

Joe, does the queen take cleansing flights?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »
dam i guess I wil have to bring myself to open the hive lol :-D
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:40:10 am »
It is my understanding that the queen leaves the hive to mate and once she has mated she never leaves the hive again with the exception of swarming! So my answer would be no for the queen!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:50:49 am »
Correct. The chamber maids take care of her and the younger bees. Waste material is carried outside.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 12:43:50 pm »
A wise man once told me that the less "fuzz" the bee has, the older it is.  The hairs wear off as they go about their chores. Orientation flights can be another indicator of newer bees if I am not mistaken.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:52:13 pm »
The queen lays from the center out. Find a frame with eggs and larva in the center surrounded with capped brood. The eggs and larva will be second generation.

Not always, I've seen queens that layed eggs like she was a typewriter.  Left to right, top down.  Depends on the queen and how much area of free comb she has to lay in.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 04:42:41 am »

Not always, I've seen queens that layed eggs like she was a typewriter.  Left to right, top down.  Depends on the queen and how much area of free comb she has to lay in.

Adding to this comment, I had a package that went queenless. So the hive started putting pollen and sugar syrup everywhere. They filled several brood frames with pollen and honey. When I got a new queen and she started laying there were cells that she could not lay in until the pollen and honey was moved or used. Her pattern really looked spotty but I knew the reason for it. So, this could also be a problem with that theory.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 09:45:22 am »
With that kind of responses, maybe we should all quit saying what the bees will do. As a general rule, she will lay circular from center out. If you only want to post facts that never have an exception, maybe we should just close the forum. There will always be exceptions.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 02:30:52 am »
As a general rule, she will lay circular from center out.

I completely agree. Just stating that my queens pattern looked spotty for specific reasons. I have personally never seen the typewriter thing, but I would not doubt it.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 10:16:56 pm »
mine dont lol.....on a secong note I can tell the differance with new bees. A lot lighter
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

anything