Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: For those who think treating with sugar is "Non-Chemical"  (Read 84033 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: For those who think treating with sugar is "Non-Chemical"
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2011, 03:08:14 pm »
That actually works out to a little over $2/lb....

We put our honey is quart Ball jars and I weighed them to be 4.9 pounds net.  What is the conversion suppose to be?
better weigh that jar before you put honey in it -QUART jar holds LESS than 3 pounds of honey--about 46 oz
   RDY-B

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2011, 04:00:57 pm »
I agree RDY-B, the last time I weighed (and tared the jar) for our quart ball jars I got 2lbs-8oz.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2011, 04:20:35 pm »
Ok I just checked a jar, you are right it is closer to 2 pounds.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2011, 04:55:48 pm »
now you see why I don't sell honey.

Don
 :-D :roll: :-X

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »
QUART jar holds about 46 oz by weight -about 2 oz shy of 3lbs-48oz-most folks call them a 3lb jar
 conversion for honey is about 1.5 oz honey wt--to 1 oz liquid measure-RDY-B

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2011, 09:39:24 pm »
now you see why I don't sell honey.

Don
 :-D :roll: :-X
Come over to the dark side Don. It's alot of fun.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2011, 10:45:25 pm »
He is smarter than that.  He knows where the money is.

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2011, 01:46:37 pm »
thanks ==Allen

:-D :-X
Don

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »
Allen, my wife and I have seen FatBeeMan's operation in Lulu and know he's smarter than that. I was just kidding around.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2011, 02:29:10 pm »
Ohhh Boy.........I'm sorry.....I have not been following this post for a long time and I did not get a chance to argue with anyone.  Missed out on all those political "comebacks"    Dammm!

As I was reading through the posts I started to loose interest as I was approaching the end.  Too much stuff...

Anywayssss...(Bless me father, for I have sinned.  I have offended /you/them with the following sins).

I just wanted to say that for the past three years I have violated other peoples ideas on beekeeping.  But, I like my ideas and I think that they work FOR ME.  Except for one stupid beekeeper mistake all my bees have survived the winters and I haven't had a problem with moisture or diseases.

1.   Yes, sugar is a chemical.

2.   Yes, I would use sugar if need be, in order to save a colony if I thought it's gene pool was worth saving.  When starting a
                new colony I think it is ok to feed sugar in order to develop the colony.  I don't believe using sugar when there is a chance
                that the bees might have a chance to adulterate the honey.  Don't forget that bees do move their food stores around.

3.   Yes, I do extract ALL the honey at the end of the honey flow, except for honey in the brood chambers.

4.   Yes, I do feed back honey to the bees during the winter if they happen  to reach the top frames in the hive.  I don't run a
                large operation so I don't mind going though the extraction process only to return their honey when necessary.  During the
                winter months the hive might contain honey frames on the outside but if the bees won't go to them, that's ok...I just feed
                them their own extracted honey.

5.   Yes, I do mention to customers that my honey is organic.  But....I also explain to them that the honey is only as organic as
                the bees want to make it.  All my costumers smile, give me a laugh and understand.  They still want to buy my honey as
                opposed to "store-bought" honey.  They are happy, I am happy, my bees are happy.

gaucho10
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:06:04 pm by gaucho10 »
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2011, 02:38:34 pm »
 X:X X:X

Sorry that you missed all the excitment ;)

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."