Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 42 mile bike race  (Read 10208 times)

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
42 mile bike race
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:55:25 pm »
I'm competing in my first road bike race tomorrow. It's 42 miles from Zapata, Tx to Laredo,
Tx. I've only been cycling for about 6 months so this should be interesting. Anyway going to take some honey in a squeeze bottle for an energy drink.
facebook.com/laredobees

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: 42 mile bike race
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:00:27 pm »
the only way I would do that was if it was a 42 foot race from my frigde to the couch. :cheer:

John
PS good luck and have extra padding in the seat.  ;)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:34:43 am »
Tell us all about it a couple of days after...you'll need the time to recoop :-D
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Moots

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:13:03 am »
Notactjack,
I've done my fair share of recreational road cycling, I've probably done a couple dozen or so centuries (100 Mile rides)...It's a beautiful sport!

My advice, don't think of it as a 42 mile ride...think of it as four ten miles rides with a two mile victory lap.  :-D

I'd tell friends all the time, I've never done a 100 mile ride, but I've done a bunch of 4 back to back 25 mile rides.   :laugh:

It's all mental....Hope you have a good ride!

Second piece of advice....Get out the saddle every now and then and standup for a stretch to give the ole rear end break.  If you wait till it's starts bothering you...it's too late!  :)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:33:05 pm »
I rode 40 miles on the 4 wheeler this weekend and am sore from all that riding.   I could not imagine pedaling that far. 

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:10:32 pm »
I did the race and had a lot of fun. I ended up bonking after 1-1/2 hours. I felt like two different people. I told my legs to pedal faster and they refused. I ended working through it. I just need a better eating schedule while riding. I ended up forgetting my honey. I had to settle for Gatorade and pickle juice. Also thank goodness the promotors had a rest stop with some fruit.

There is a century ride some friends are heading to in May. I'm going to pass I just don't have the conditioning for it. Plus it's in May way to hot to be riding in the middle of the day.
facebook.com/laredobees

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

Moots

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 08:58:36 pm »
I did the race and had a lot of fun. I ended up bonking after 1-1/2 hours. I felt like two different people. I told my legs to pedal faster and they refused. I ended working through it. I just need a better eating schedule while riding. I ended up forgetting my honey. I had to settle for Gatorade and pickle juice. Also thank goodness the promotors had a rest stop with some fruit.

There is a century ride some friends are heading to in May. I'm going to pass I just don't have the conditioning for it. Plus it's in May way to hot to be riding in the middle of the day.

Notactjack,
Congrats for gutting through it!

I think your right about the century....give yourself some time to build your conditioning.  The only way to be able to ride more miles....Is, well.... "to ride more miles"!  :)

I've been far too lazy as of late, your post makes me realize I need to dust of the Moots and get back on the road.  :)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:01 pm »
Nothing quite like a nice long bike ride to cleanse the body and soul.  I wish we would get some good biking weather soon.  Congratulations on making it.  

I switched to a dual pad ergonomic bicycle seat/saddle a few years ago and it makes riding soooo much easier on the butt.  You know, there are some critical nerves in the male anatomy that are under pressure with the traditional saddle.  LOL, I’m a little surprised any male would actually still use the traditional (conservative) design.    

I also got a trike last year I’m hoping to use more this summer.  

Moots

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:50:39 pm »
Nothing quite like a nice long bike ride to cleanse the body and soul.  I wish we would get some good biking weather soon.  Congratulations on making it.  

I switched to a dual pad ergonomic bicycle seat/saddle a few years ago and it makes riding soooo much easier on the butt.  You know, there are some critical nerves in the male anatomy that are under pressure with the traditional saddle.  LOL, I’m a little surprised any male would actually still use the traditional (conservative) design.    

I also got a trike last year I’m hoping to use more this summer.  

Hey BlueBee.....The next thing you gonna tell me is you're buying a recumbent. :lau: :lau: :lau:

NO self respecting cyclist would be caught dead riding a dual pad.  :laugh:

Call me a conservative (quite the compliment in my book), or call me a traditionalist, but I'd sooner stop riding and sell my bike than go that route.  :)

NotactJack,
Cycling saddles are very user specific and while "the traditional" saddles may all look very similar, your rear end will certainly be able to tell a difference.  Different folks like different things, so it's really hard to recommend a saddle.  There's no real way to know which one works best for you without actually trying it out.  And by "trying it out", I mean a couple hundred miles, not a spin around a parking lot.

That being said, I ride a Fizik Arione, and swear by it.  I know a number of other avid cyclist that feel the same way.  If you're in the market for a saddle, I'd strongly suggest giving it a go.

After your conditioning gets built up, if you can't ride 60, 70, or even 100 miles without serious discomfort....you're riding the wrong saddle.  Spend the money and continue the search....when you find the right one, you'll know it.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:18:31 am »
NO self respecting cyclist would be caught dead riding a dual pad.  :laugh:

Call me a conservative (quite the compliment in my book), or call me a traditionalist, but I'd sooner stop riding and sell my bike than go that route.  :)
Why doesn’t that surprise me  :shock: :shock: :shock:

I believe you reported in another post that you’re just too darn busy to learn.  That seems to be a rampant problem with the conservatives.  Let me attempt to at least provide some food for thought:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/346680-bicycle-seat-nerve-damage/
You probably know more than Lance Armstrong though, so you’ll ignore that one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/health/nutrition/04bike.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Oh wait, that’s from a “liberal” newspaper so you probably won’t even read it.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/91896-overview#a0199

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudendal_nerve_entrapment

But hey, if you want to be impotent, that’s fine with me.   More power to ya. X:X

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 12:25:42 am »
Hey BlueBee.....The next thing you gonna tell me is you're buying a recumbent. :lau: :lau: :lau:
What do you think a modern trike is, you bicycling genius?

Moots

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 01:00:24 am »

Why doesn’t that surprise me  :shock: :shock: :shock:

I believe you reported in another post that you’re just too darn busy to learn.  That seems to be a rampant problem with the conservatives.  Let me attempt to at least provide some food for thought:

:lau: ....BlueBee,
Relax....I was just messing with you!  :) If I didn't know better, I'd think I touched a nerve!  :laugh:

But a few observations of how you lefties love to play fast and loose with facts.  

First, you imply that I've made a statement...you "believe" that I've reported that I'm "just too darn busy to learn".  Really?  Maybe I'm losing my mind, or maybe you're just being manipulative and dishonest....Or, maybe your honestly mistaken.  Regardless, I'm fairly confident I've never made such a statement.  But hey, this forum has a pretty good search engine, if you can find it, I'd love to apologize.  If you can't, maybe you should!

Secondly, You reference an article but claim I'll dismiss it, because I "probably know more than Lance Armstrong".  Yet the article you reference doesn't even mention Lance, it's simply some generic piece written by a freelance writer.  Do you really believe just because Livestrong.com ran the article that implies an endorsement from Lance Armstrong?  Or, were you perhaps being a bit disingenuous?

Lastly, I'm thrilled for you that you're not impotent, that's really important because I'm sure that goofy looking ride is quite the chick magnet.  :lau: :-D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:54:39 pm by Moots »

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »
I using a WTB volt now.  I was using the stock cannondale. The volt is definitely an upgrade. I hear you on the saddle choice it's really hard to know what works without riding it. I guess they need that automated dr schols machine that tells you what show insert to use.
facebook.com/laredobees