Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Installing Package Sugar or Smoke  (Read 1550 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Installing Package Sugar or Smoke
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:30:12 pm »
Hello Dear Beeks,

It has been a while since I have installed a package...I can't recall if I used sugar or smoke...which do you all prefer and why?

Many thanks,

Sharon

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Installing Package Sugar or Smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
Smoke reaches all of them. Think about the 50 or so the sugar doesn't reach.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:48:08 pm »
Smoke reaches all of them. Think about the 50 or so the sugar doesn't reach.
IMHO Sugar water 1 to 1
iddee....
Where is the honey the bees are going to eat ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:13 pm »
sugar water.  packaged bees should have a "swarm mentality" and swarming bees are usually pretty gentle.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:57:06 pm »
I use both.   Syrup to hold them for a while.   Smoke when I am dumping them.   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:51:41 pm »
Truthfully, I don't use either, but if I did, it would be smoke. Smoke does more than make them gorge on honey. Sugar water does nothing for the ones it doesn't get on.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Mouse

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:00:57 pm »
would the weather have an impact on what you used? I installed on a very cold day in april last year (it was snowing) and I've wondered since if being wet in that cold was part of the reason my one hive never thrived, and died. (there were, granted, other reasons.... I'm just wondering if this was a contributing factor.) It just seems to me that maybe spraying them with liquid when it's really cold out might not help them much, but it was what "everyone" said to do....  :?

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:27:43 pm »
I would go with Allen, a little of both.   

Joe

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:39:58 pm »
Below 50 F. I would do neither. I would remove feeder can and set the box in the hive with 5 frames. Then go back in a day or two, release the queen, and remove the cage. Finish filling the box with frames and feed heavily.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:58:38 am »
A package is like  swarm.  It needs pheromones to get organized.  Smoke interferes.  I use neither smoke nor sugar.  Unless they are out of syrup, then I would use some sugar on the screen to get them fed before opening the package.  Hunger bees are no happy bees... but be careful you don't soak the bees in syrup.  They will die if there is too much syrup on them.  I have seen too many soggy dying bees in my time...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:28 am »
Truthfully, I don't use either, but if I did, it would be smoke. Smoke does more than make them gorge on honey. Sugar water does nothing for the ones it doesn't get on.

Me too, packages are pretty docile.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything