Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aussies - tell me about Eucalyptus  (Read 1896 times)

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Aussies - tell me about Eucalyptus
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:11:14 am »
When does it bloom, what age does it bloom at, how long is a flow, what species to target?  thanks!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Aussies - tell me about Eucalyptus
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 06:39:45 am »
How long is a piece of string?

They usually start flowering after 4 or 5 years but may take longer. Some species flower every year and some of the most important ones, like Yellow Box, may flower on a 5 year cycle. Flowering can be at any time of the year depending on the season, the prevailing conditions and the species. The flow can be anything from a 2 weeks to 2 months, again depending on the conditions, species etc. What variety to target? Since your location appears to be Texas I would have thought your selection might be a bit limited, you may have to take whatever you can get.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 02:10:29 pm »
How long is a piece of string?

Twice as long as from one end to the middle  ;)

mvh edward  :-P

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:42:53 pm »
Duck the options are endless! are you looking at finding some to put your hives on? planting some? there are over 700 different species and all of them have different characteristics of growth/flowering... some are great for honey, some are poor... it just depends on what direction you're wanting to take your question - give us some more information and us Aussies will try and help you out as best we can! 

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:04:45 am »
There are large plantations starting to appear here.  I have access to one that is around 300 acres.  The trees are eithe E. grandis or E. urophylla... or a hybrid between the two.  I was told theg were conventional trees, but not so sure. I think the genetically engineered hybrid has pretty much been abandoned.  The hybrid has been dubbe E. urograndis.  The trees I have access to are three years old I think.  We will see if they flower this year but I doubt it.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:25:22 am »
This factsheet lists E. grandis as having some value for apiculture and this one from the DPI says it is useful for nectar and pollen. I haven't found much info on E. urophylla apart from the fact that it is an Indonesian variety.