Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Green house project  (Read 11157 times)

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
New Green house project
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:22:03 am »
For 3 yrs now I have want a green house and I found the plans to build one a while back here
green house plans

I have started the ground work for it and hope to finish it in a week or so.  I think it will just be a cold frame to start but who know may add all the bells and whistles later. 

If anyone has any good ideas for things to grow in a green house over winter please let me know

I have the high side level in this picture decided to wait until I build the bottom frame to level the rest

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: New Green house project
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 12:11:03 pm »
I have a nearly identical small green house. 

Over the winter is when it is most useful so far - l grow lettuce, spinach, brassicas and other salad greens over the winter, and use it to get an early start in the spring.  If you get those leafy greens established before it turns cold they will grow all winter long in our climate.  Plant soon.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:22:51 pm »
thats what Im talking about I can hardly wait I hope to complete mine over the next week

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:38:15 pm »

Me and my grandson working on ribs of greenhouse

Ribs in place

Starting on framing for front door

Hopefully we will finish it up tomarrow

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:10:14 pm »
Looking good!  That looks like a good helper you got there too.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:10:43 pm »
yep he is alot of fun to have around.  even though sometime he can be more distructive than constructive

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:50:59 am »
looking good Grandkid's rock :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 10:54:19 am »
if anyone else decide they want to build one of these the plans calls for 10pcs of 3/4 pvc you actually need 11.  the total price to build is 196 dollars if you buy everything at lowes

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 04:03:15 pm »
All finished just got to build tables for inside and it will be ready to go

my help goofing off

putting on the plastic

almost finished

I thought putting the plastic on was hard until I started building the door I hate building doors

Finished

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 04:01:35 pm »
I can't tell you how glad i am you posted this, I've been scheming on a greenhouse for some time but haven't  gotten away from the "hard box with clear roof panels and expensive stuff" line of thinking. I think 196 bucks is a pretty easy decision.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 03:40:18 pm »
I remember when I was younger my mother wanted me to build a greenhouse for her. I told her no problem can do it for a couple hundred bucks. Ha not even close I think the thing ended up costing close to 800. I went the hard clear plastic PVC way. Sure wish I had this post years back could have saved moms some cash

Keith

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 09:31:15 pm »
Add 84 dollars for building tables this is optional  will add more photos over the weekend I have built tables and rocked floor and made a rock path. I didn't pay anything for the rock there is a place near me that make aquarium rocks and they let people have their culls for free I loaded the bed of a 1 ton dually full for free.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 11:27:35 pm »
I put together a 6X8 conventional model I purchased through Harbor Freight, when on sale.  The Trust  stipulations on the property won't allow any more permanent structures so I build it on 2 8'X4'X6" skids, thus making it movable.  I had built a new Chicken house this spring so that the chicken yard is cut in half and I can rotate pasture, on the now idle side I had 8 volunteer tomato plants start growing.  Since it was the beginning of October I dug them up and replanted them into my new green house.  They whilted a bit but 7 made it trough the shock of transplant and I now have 2 flowering with the others showing signs.  I wonder what kinds they will turn out to be and how long I can keep the going in the green house.  This is my first stab at growing in a green house so I'll be happy with whatever I get.  I consider it practice for next year.
Last year, after the 1st frost, I picked about 12 lbs of green tomatoes and made a large batch of Green Tomato Relish like my grandmother used to make.  May do the same with those in the green house if they come on strong or start to fade before getting ripe.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 11:29:33 pm »
Hey Brian!  Good to see you back!

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 04:24:32 pm »
Here are the pictures of the rock and tables I have added this week

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 04:33:02 pm »
That looks great! I wish I had the room for one sometimes. I do some fall crops that I leave over winter in the ground, like the carrots and other root crops and I just planted my onions and garlic  but a green house would be nice for other things.
Its a nice looking set up you have. Have fun with it. :)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 08:35:25 pm »
That is a nice looking set up mtman1849. The colored rock set off the inside well. When you are done with your helper, send him to Maryland because my other half wants one now. In my area I would probably have to add other support in case it would snow over night before I could get it cleared off.

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 08:45:45 pm »
I plan on cutting two pcs of 2 1/4 pvc to go jus behind the 2nd rib on each end just in case the plans say it should support 4 inches of dry snow without any added support but I would rather be safe than sorry.  I will only added support if bad weather is expected and remove them after threat passes

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 11:24:29 pm »
It looks great; I'll be on one just like it soon, the coconut palm is in the house now  -it's just a bit too chilly this far north. the lemons too.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline mtman1849

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 08:21:52 am »
Last night it was 32 degrees here for serveral hours and I was able to maintain 46 degrees in the greenhouse gonna add two more barrels of water sometime this week so my little electric heater doesn't have to work so hard