Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Solar Power  (Read 16180 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 04:34:38 pm »
My son planned in getting some wind generator that was to cut his electric use by 80%. I pointed out that if he didn't spend anymore on electricity from the grid, didn't ever have to do maintenance  to the machine he would show a savings in about 104 years.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 05:21:46 pm »
I have an array of solar powered plants that the bees gather nectar from.  Also burn a bit of firewood - the chemical battery in the log unwinds, and it releases the solar energy stored over the past 20 years.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 03:26:46 pm »
Well, I need to update. Because things just got ugly. And it is not just one person to blame on this. There is a whole mass of stupid in this.

I called and canceled the contract to install the solar panels.
Must breath Must breath

There had been some delays from the manufacture. I expected that demand for installs has shot through the roof. There were delays with permits. Having personally dealt with the county I expected that. The government is slow in sending the refunds I expected that.

However it has been many months and many phone calls to the company and nothing has happened. Now here is the kicker. There is a interest free period with the loan that you can pay it off in with no interest. That is one year. Well that time started when they put the water heater in. Back in April or May. Now it is October and I have no solar power panels, no permit, and no net metering. And it is seems very likely that I will be waiting a few more months before the install actually started. And I don't get the refunds from the government until the installation is complete.

So if I had gone ahead with it, it would have meant $30,000 at 13%. That ain't gonna happen. The refunds would have knocked it down to $17,000 and we would have paid that off before the interest kicked in.

So my wife and I called today and put the kabosh on the install. I am very bummed about it. No solar panels, no rebate from FP&L. And basically I have to start over again.

Now for the kicker. One more reason my wife wanted the thing killed is the Draft EIS from the Palm Beach International Airport regarding the expansion. In the draft EIS was included the possibility that they may buy out our neighborhood. In order to deal with the noise issue. If that happens it will happen in 5-8 years. So my wife does not want them installed only to have to look at a new install in five years.

It's like a soap opera with all the bad actors.

In November is the public hearing but they won't say anything for definite until the Final EIS comes out some time next year.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 04:44:40 pm »
Oh, man!!! That is just not cool. All to common though. I deal with cities, counties etc on a regular basis. It is just no fun. Too many $12.00 per hr folks with nothing to do but make your life difficult. Logic never prevails. I had a meeting with the RDA dept of SLC yesterday, letting them know that the project that we are doing for them will now be quicker, and less expensive.... They of course said no!!!
Go figure.
Labor has gone down, materials have gone down, we are constant using better and more efficient methods etc.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

anything