Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Couldnt find 1/8 hard cloth but found this.....  (Read 10181 times)

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
Re: Couldnt find 1/8 hard cloth but found this.....
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 11:44:08 am »
update

To let you guys know I purchased the hard cloth through betterbee, so now i continue to build on!!! Thanks for the help guys

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 04:38:55 pm »
UV would not be my first concern. Plastic is chewable... I am thinking mice, rats, and skunks.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 06:46:37 pm »
Mice seem to be able to chew through just about anything.  I'm sure they could get through #8 hardware cloth aswell.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 06:54:27 pm »
>I'm sure they could get through #8 hardware cloth aswell.

My dad had some in #8 hardware cloth cages for months and they never did.  I've never seen them chew through hardware cloth.  I've also never seen them chew through steel wool.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 07:50:46 pm »
Mice seem to be able to chew through just about anything.  I'm sure they could get through #8 hardware cloth aswell.

This reminds me, back home in Europe, as a kid right after the war.  We had a secret pantry, (hiding what little food there was, from Communists!) One day my father got to cursing that one could almost see blue cloud around his head....
A mouse chewed through about 3 feet of mortar and bricks and got right in the midle of a big block of cheese.
Poor bugger must to have worn its' teeth right down to the gums! :evil:

Regards,
Trot

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 09:29:40 pm »
Trot, you know that many of us cannot even begin to understand what life must have been like when food was so hard to get and scarce.  I lived through hard times as a child, and I have heard many forum members speak of this in their lives too.

The stories that are told of the hard times that people have lived through make me feel ever so grateful for my cozy little life now.  I am grateful for these stories, it really puts a lot of things into some spectacular perspective.

That mouse was amazing.  Funny, that is a memory that made such an impact, you have never forgotten it.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 10:47:57 pm »
I bought a roll of 1/8 inch hardware cloth from ace hardware for about $95. Luckily they had a 36 inch by 100 foot roll that had barely been uses. I got it for a bargin. I could have ordered a 24 inch X 100 foot roll for 130.00. Thought I got a really good deal on the partially used roll.
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 07:06:25 pm »
Here locally we have a place called Marine hardware.  In there you can find what you cant find in anyother place.  I bought the last 1/8 screen Ace had and they promptly quick stocking it.  I then wne to marine harware and they have loads and are will to restock.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!