Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Research _ Daily work cycle  (Read 2703 times)

Offline badboi

• Brood
Bee Research _ Daily work cycle
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:30:51 pm »
Hi,

I am doing some research on bees

I have been trying to search for a diagram that depicts what BEES do on a daily basis, how they work together, the process in which they work individually and collectively.

does anyone know where I can find this kind of simplistic diagram
as well as more indepth articles?

thanks!

Offline Hivehead

• New Bee
Re: Bee Research _ Daily work cycle
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:34 pm »
I think they do what they do when they do what they do.  Not familiar with the flow chart, though.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:10:08 pm »
You're going to need a flow chart for every bee.  Different aged bees do different jobs and even those jobs have variables.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 07:03:13 am »
The Wisdom of the Hive  by Dr. Thomas Seeley would be a good start.  he did a lot of research on how bees are recruited and unrecruited with checks and balances during the wax and wane of various needs of the hive.  Bees are recruited by other bees doing the work to do what work needs to be done.  The bees who are receiving the "goods" also feed into the "demand" by refusing to unload bees who don't have what they really need at the moment.  It's an expensive book but well worth it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Nate

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 07:18:44 am »
What are you researching about bees and where are you conducting your research?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:35:16 am »
Get the bee movie that recently came out with J Sienfeld. You can easily see that some bees hang out in coffee shops, some attend the latest court cases, and some girl bees drool over pollen jocks all day long....  :-D

Ok, just kidding of course.

How about starting with the life cycle poster sold at most bee supply places. It depicts the different jobs the bees go through within it's lifetime.

On a daily basis, when field bees are not foraging, etc., they are regulating hive temperature, resting, etc. Some bees are always tending the queen and others always feeding brood. But the daily work load is dependant on the age of the bee and the role it fills that particular day.

You can see alot from an observation hive. And when the sun goes down, many bees are really doing little and go off and seem to rest. The brood area remains active, but this is for a smaller number of bees.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline badboi

• Brood
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:25:13 am »
thank you everybody for the replies and interest

well, this seems very far-fetched but I am a Master of Architecture student.... and this research is for a project I am doing that is looking into swarm theory.

I am very interested in how a bee hive function through the actions of a single participants but are a part of a collective.

The research would hopefully provide a framework for my proposal which is almost like a machinezed bee hive of small independant robots
anyways,

there still doesnt seem to be a diagram I can find on the net.  I have seen the life cycle diagrams but that is not really looking for.  I really want to know what each type of bee does during a day and how they know what to do.  I am sure I can find it in a length document or book....but it would of been nice to have a concise Diagram/cartoon of what they do

I'll see if my local library has that bee book

D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:01:34 pm »
If you want to know how bees make collective decisions, Seeley's book is what you are looking for.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything