Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Taking mite sample  (Read 3038 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Taking mite sample
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:54:13 pm »
I tried to do a varroa sample the other day.  I tried to make a funnel out of paper and to shake the bees into a jar.  It did not work so well.  I said tho heck with it till I can make a larger funnel and get more than 15 bees in the jar when shaking off a whole frame of bees. 

If anyone could give me any tips for funnels, jars, shaking or anything else I would appreciate it. 

Also what is the most economical varroa screen board for use in detecting mite levels.  For the right price I would much rather convert all my hives than use the ether or other roll methods.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Taking mite sample
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:45:13 am »
here is how i do it.

i put the bottom board in my screened BB for 24 hours.   when i take it out, if what i see doesn't make me say bad words, the mite count is ok.

my SBBs came from mann lake through my local beekeeping store.  they were around 18 dollars when i  got them a few years ago.  they got a coat of paint and seem to hold up well.

seriously, if you want to count mites, i think the sticky paper is the easiest.  it's a little more expensive, but i bet after you do it once, you'll have a good handle on what you are looking at and you'll be able to eyeball it the next time.  just don't say bad words in front of your granddaughter because she'll tell everyone!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:22:47 am »
if what i see doesn't make me say bad words, the mite count is ok.
  just don't say bad words in front of your granddaughter because she'll tell everyone!

Kathy, you still bring out that inward laugh with me, you a funny gal.

Try the sticky board thing, like Kathy was speaking about, there are many variations.  You can make one out of white clorplast plastic, anything.  I do that. It is like the plastic signs that go up around in voting seasons.  I spray pam on it, and then put them in each colony for three days.  I then divide to get a daily mite count.  That is a simple definition, do a search here, there are many topics about mite counting.  Have that wonderful and great day, to love and live, with great health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:06:23 pm »
How do you keep the bees out of the Pam?
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16:05 am »
Bee-nuts.  Guess I forgot to elaborate a little more.  I have a plastic mesh layer that I put on the top of the white plastic.  The bees don't walk directly on the white plastic board.  I would imagine a piece of hardware cloth would do the same thing.  The plastic mesh was purchased at a bee supply house.  Does that make sense?  Hope I have clarified for you.   Have the most great and beautiful day, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:45:18 am »
Bee-Nuts,
     Do an alcohol wash.  I feel it is much easier and whole lot less time consuming.  

1.  Pick a frame with some capped and older open brood.  This frame will contain nurse bees which is   the age you want to test.

2.  Be sure the queen is not on the frame and shake the bees into your top cover for your hive.

3.  Replace the frame in the hive.

4.  Pick up the top cover, which now has alot of bees in it and shake them to the corner of the cover and fill a 1/2 cup measuring cup.

5.  Dump the bees from the measuring cup into a jar with some alcohol, already measured and set aside, and place the lid on the jar.

6.  Shake the bees and alcohol for a minute or so and dump thru a collander, to hold the bees, and thru some white filtering cloth, to stop the mites into a bucket.

7. Set the jar down and count the mites.

This whole process is alot easier to do than to explain.  I might add it can be seen on YouTube thru NOD Apiaries videos.  Once you are set up to do it a lot of hives can be done in a short amount of time.  Also I might add there is absolutely no need for a funnel or other devices and the 1/2 cup when full will contain about 150 bees to give you a ratio.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:28:13 am »
 jdpro5010

Awesome!!  Sounds like a plan to me.  I already have the ether so I will still do the roll. 

Thanks a ton.

Thomas Jefferson