Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "working" Observation hive thoughts or feedback  (Read 3045 times)

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
"working" Observation hive thoughts or feedback
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:40:57 pm »
Newbee doing TONS of research in preparation of my son (12 years old) getting started in bees. We're planning on building our own woodenware just because and through the advice of a few local beeks am leaning towards starting two hives so we'll have something to compare against.

We have a 3-season enclosed porch on the south side of the house that has old louvered-glass windows. As I sat in the porch reading "The Hive and the Honeybee" it suddenly occurred to me that one of those windows would make a pretty cool observation hive! Wood exterior, plexi or glass interior framed to fit whatever frame standard we finalize upon. What I'm thinking is building out the bottom section as a 5 frame deep so we can support a "normal" sized colony with plexi ends to be able to watch what's going on. The top frame sections would likely be mostly honey?

Thoughts, ideas?

Thx,

Jay

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: "working" Observation hive thoughts or feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:58:37 pm »
You'll want to avoid direct sunlight through the glass(Melted comb and overheated bees).And yes,do two hives if possible. Have a great time learning with your son,my son and I learned toether and I will always remember this!! :)

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:18:21 am »
You'll want to avoid direct sunlight through the glass(Melted comb and overheated bees).

Yep, I didn't think twice about wood on the outside. I'll have to be careful to have any other "clear" stuff out of direct light.

J-

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:53:54 pm »
Hey Homebru and welcome to the forum this is a really great place to learn and make a few friends along the way.
It is really great that you and you son are getting into beekeeping together I am sure it will bring you many years of enjoyment
You can also introduce youself to the forum at http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/board,29.0.html doesn't have to be a book lol

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:46:42 pm »
You'll also need to be able to work on the hive, which means bees flying around. If you can only open it from the inside, you're going to have trouble. Outside access might work well, though. Be sure to pay close attention to bee space, though, or your project will become a hassle to work.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC