Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: End of the active beekeeping life.  (Read 6291 times)

Jorn Johanesson

End of the active beekeeping life.
« on: December 09, 2006, 11:52:37 am »
I am Danish, I live in Denmark and I was born in 1942. (Yes I am not that young any longer) I was a teacher and have been keeping bees since 1970. Officially, I have few hives, but have equipment enough for thirty hives. I use full Langstroth hives and my bees are regional bees. I have an average honey harvest of 45kg a year, which is an improvement from my first years when I had around 15kg. I got my first computer (a Zx81) in 1981 and started to investigate programming for this animal :-) It had only 8Kb of memory but it was fun. In 1986 I put a fortune into a real computer (Amstrad 1512) and from then on the next story starts: the EDBi foundation.

I heard that there was a foundation for EDB interested beekeepers being formed, and got in touch with them to see if they had some software I could use for my beekeeping. It turned out that they had none, but were looking for people who could help them in this field. I had built my own software, so I offered to work voluntarily for them in creating a useful software tool for beekeeping. The first result was an MS-DOS based hivenote collection program. I of course based this software on inputs from the members of the EDBi foundation. The software program was offered to the Danish beekeeper society in 1987. The members in the EDBi foundation were my testing crew, and with time the software improved. The members of EDBi are all kinds of people, from some with very few hives to people who are living from beekeeping. Some have been members from the very start until today. In 1994 I decided to create a Win 3.1 software program based on my previous work. This software was presented at the Apimondia Congress in Lausanne, Switzerland in 1995. I made some very good contacts there with people who have helped me to improve the language support.

Last January we got a Storm that throws a tree upon my honey house. What a damage, there was nothing left for use after this because the ceiling broke together. During the cleaning up phase I made a bad turn that resulted in an old damage to my back to break up! The trauma was so big that I decided to sell all my beekeeping stuff and concentrate on my beekeeping software. This I offer you to download and put on your web if you have such. As long as the version is  8.0.5.0  the free registration wil work out.

I will see if I can participate in the forum. I am approved experienced beekeeper so I know about beekeeping diseases except from the small hivebettle parasite that we have not yet seen in Denmark.

So for not being to boring I will stop here.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: End of the active beekeeping life.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:14:13 pm »
Wow.

I am amazed at your what you have done. I am sorry to hear what the storm did. I live in Florida so Hurricanes tend to move trees around here also. I have never had a roof go be on long enough for the warranty to expire to bad trees going through are not covered.

Maybe Beemaster will put upa sign that says Experienced Beekeepers Welcome Here!

I for one welcome you to our humble little list.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 12:25:30 pm »
it's always great when experienced people are willing to help those of us who know less.  (in my case, much less  :-) ).  mentoring is a great gift!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 01:48:28 pm »

So for not being to boring I will stop here.

Jorn, I don't think that any information is boring, if it does become mundane, we as readers can scroll through.  Bring on the information.  It is wonderful that you can provide experience, I know that I welcome all advice and information from other forum members.

That is terrible about the honeyhouse, stuff like that can really set a person back, physically, emotionally and economically.  Have an awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 09:46:39 pm »
    Jorn!!

Welcome and...what they said goes for me also.  I yield to all who have experience that I have not yet gained, and as Cindi said, I never am bored by information.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:26:45 pm »
Yeah!!!  Information.   We all need it, addicted to it, bring it on!!!!!  Greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 07:22:31 am »
As long as I can still lift a medium frame, I'll have a few long hives around...

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Thumbnails/LongHive1_small1.JPG
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rusty

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 07:38:39 am »
Hi Jorn

It is a long time since I visited Beemaster's so maybe you don't remember me, but i remeber you from a few correspondences, and I just wanted to say how sorry I was about the tree, and that you are stopping active beekeeping. It is wonderful that you are prepared to pass on your expertise, but I do hope you will continue to keep at least one hive, just for pleasure. I have found that once  "stung" the love of bees and beekeeping can not easliy be given up.

I wish you all the very best,

Rusty Wise
Rusty Wise,

Author and illustrator of the Belinda Bee Books,and A little Book of Bee Poems
www.trafford.com (Search Desk)
http://www.pcela.co.yu/IndexE.htm

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 08:02:23 am »
Hi Jorn

It is a long time since I visited Beemaster's so maybe you don't remember me, but i remeber you from a few correspondences, I have found that once  "stung" the love of bees and beekeeping can not easliy be given up.

Hello Rusty!

I remember you very well. I am sorry to tell you that keeping a single hive here where I live is not possible, because my neighbour is true allergic to beestings. And my landlord, will also blow up if I keep bees here. So I have placed some hives is the local beekeeper society school apiary with in reach able distance of my EU45 moped.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 10:41:33 am »
Jorn, ah, now you are a lucky man to have a moped and your bees are within distance.  I see so many people riding around on their moped, it has made the life of individuals who have a hard time getting around by walking, bussing, etc. to bring back their desire to hit the road.  Many, many people have a terrible issue with even walking due to sore legs, or anything that may afflict their bodies, so these little mopeds lighten their life, their personality and it all makes life happier and more simple.  thank you to the one that invented these little machines for people who certainly need them.  Great invention for sure.

Now Rusty said something interesting:

"I have found that once  "stung" the love of bees and beekeeping can not easliy be given up."

Now some may find this hokey and probably think me a little strange.  Speaking of being "stung", I think that beekeeping gets into your blood and is a hard thing to give up as a hobby or whatever form it has become with a person.  Maybe the venon of the bees is like a "love potion", maybe it affects certain humans in different ways, some it affects so deeply that they become "in love" with the bees and cannot get this "love of the bees" ever out of their systems.  I know that I have a passion for the bees that I could not have realized existed.  It is very exciting to go out and watch them, listen to them, bring in the beautiful scents from their hives that I can smell just by being in the general area, I am sure that I will always have a hive of bees, even if I ever get to the point where I could only physically look after one.  Actually, if I ever get to that point, I am hoping that I may have a little crew of kids to chose from that I could mentor and help me in years to come, as I hear of so many people on this forum that have helped out their mentors that helped them.  Now, that got a little long winded and maybe confusing, sorry, couldn't think of another way to say it.  Anyways.  Where was I?  Got a little lost.

Right, back to mopeds.  Ride em' high!!!  Great day. Cindi

Offline rusty

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 10:54:53 am »

Maybe the venon of the bees is like a "love potion", maybe it affects certain humans in different ways, some it affects so deeply that they become "in love" with the bees and cannot get this "love of the bees" ever out of their systems. 

You could have just hit on something there Cindi!
Hmmm "Bee Venom Love Potions" by the bottle. Could you have just invented another source of income for the beekeeper. Just imagine............

Actually I have always had a sneaky feeling that the venom somehow acts on us to create an affinity with the bees, so maybe you are more right than you think.

Talking of Mopeds -- I want one too!

Rusty
Rusty Wise,

Author and illustrator of the Belinda Bee Books,and A little Book of Bee Poems
www.trafford.com (Search Desk)
http://www.pcela.co.yu/IndexE.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 10:58:50 am »

Maybe the venon of the bees is like a "love potion", maybe it affects certain humans in different ways, some it affects so deeply that they become "in love" with the bees and cannot get this "love of the bees" ever out of their systems. 

You could have just hit on something there Cindi!
Hmmm "Bee Venom Love Potions" by the bottle. Could you have just invented another source of income for the beekeeper. Just imagine............

Actually I have always had a sneaky feeling that the venom somehow acts on us to create an affinity with the bees, so maybe you are more right than you think.

Talking of Mopeds -- I want one too!

Rusty
We all know that the world, its properties and beings holds more than whatever we could possibly imagine.  Yikes, our power just went off and on a few times within seconds.  Gotta go, something wicked this way comes!!!  The rain, wind.  Oh, oh. Great day. Cindi

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 04:57:15 am »
Hi Jorn, Du er mit livs store kærlighed, well thats all I know in danish, it used to work in my student days  :roll:

Its great to see you here, although I am sad that you have done your back in and have had to give up your bees.

Your software idea is a great way to keep active in the bee world.

I look forward to reading your advice, and hearing of your experiences.

have a great Christmas!

mick

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 07:04:10 am »
Thanks MIC!

Du er mit livs store kærlighed, :-) this is what I was telling the beutiful young lady  I was on my knees in front of in my young days. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 07:48:25 am »
Awe come on guys, it sounds like you were telling the young ladies that you would buy them the moon.  LOL.  Have a great day.  I wish I knew other languages, other than French.  To be able to communicate to others of a foreign tongue would be a wonderful gift to hold.  Cindi.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 04:23:38 am »
As I recall Cindi, it means "you are the love of my life".

Language is a wonderful thing, if you dont use it you lose it, unfortunately.

Those of us who have English as the native tongue are really behind the 8 ball. Its not uncommon for European schol kids to speak half a dozen languages. Latin roots you see. I imagine the Danes have a similar command of languages.

I love the French language. The cheese eating surrender monkeys love it when you at least try to speak French. Repeating what the person in the queue in front of you orders for lunch was a hoot for me when I travelled. Got all sorts of things I didnt recognise, but at least I knew what to call it!

Learning how to simply say "hello, goodbye, how are you, please and thankyou" in a foregin language opens doors that otherwise would not open.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 10:50:16 am »
Courtesy can indeed open those doors.  Great day Mick. Cindi