Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic hive frames??  (Read 2009 times)

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
Plastic hive frames??
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:57:46 pm »
Can anyone give me insight on the new plastic frames with starter wax that is being sold?
It sounds good for control with wax moths.  We are thinking of tring it out to see if it works.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Plastic hive frames??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:18:02 pm »
I haven't seen the plastic frames made to hold starter strips but I do use wooden frames with the plastic foundation and I love it.  They also make solid plastic frames with drawn foundation called permacomb and it is also good.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:44:15 pm »
Doesn't help for waxmoth control much.  If the comb is drawn, the wax moths can still lay eggs in the drawn comb and the larve can chew through that.  Happened to my buddy at work.  But what's nice about plastic foundation is you can scrape the old wax off and let the bees start new.  I prefer wax foundation since the bees draw it out faster.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:47:04 pm »
they won't eat through the permacomb, if they do they are some tough wax larvae.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:48:35 pm »
I've been using honey super cell (www.honeysupercell.com) for 2 yrs now and like it a lot.  No way for wax moths to do any damage.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:51:43 am »
Thanks for the input. We have used the foundation with the plastic and wooden frames for a while and love it.  But this year we have just heard about the solid plastic frames with wax on the the foundation and wanted to try it out. Think we will on the next hives because we ran out of the other.

anything