Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bottling system  (Read 11867 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Bottling system
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:47:31 pm »
Hi. anybody ever try to build a bottling system? somthingthat can fill more than one bottle at a time. I figure it would have to be mechanical. I find myself now doing 70-80 bottles a week and beingthe lazy sucker i am i keep wondering if there is a way to build a contraption that can do maybe 4-5 bottles at a time.

Offline MAXANT

• New Bee
Re: Bottling system
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:57:41 am »
We used to sell the APIPACKER, they have since been bought out by a French company. I think Dadant and Kelley have a setup that does this.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:12:51 pm »
ok did a quick search havent seen it, still searching though.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:05:14 am »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:12:47 am »
http://www.morrisweaver.com/                                                                                                                     Look in the for sale under miscellaneous equipment  -RDY-B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 01:28:27 am »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 01:36:57 am »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 01:43:21 am »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 04:58:04 am »
That's pretty darn expensive... here's another idea... Use a very large funnel, attach a coffeemaker cutoff valve from a broken coffeemaker to the bottom of it... attach a piece of wire or anything stiff to the bottom of the valve (anything that sticks out far enough to reach the sides of the jar you're filling).  Now suspend that above a spring-loaded platform that holds your bottles that you're filling up against the top so they're opening up the cutoff valve.  Tension the spring so that the weight of a full bottle of honey is just enough to push the spring down to the point that the cutoff valve closes.  There you go... all you have to do is swap out the full bottles with empty ones and put on a lid... and of course keep the funnel full... I would assume you'd place this over an extractor and attach a coffee filter or whatever you use to filter the honey to the output of the extractor before it flows into the funnel (that should slow it down enough that it's managable).

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:01:43 pm »
That's pretty darn expensive... here's another idea... Use a very large funnel, attach a coffeemaker cutoff valve from a broken coffeemaker to the bottom of it... attach a piece of wire or anything stiff to the bottom of the valve (anything that sticks out far enough to reach the sides of the jar you're filling).  Now suspend that above a spring-loaded platform that holds your bottles that you're filling up against the top so they're opening up the cutoff valve.  Tension the spring so that the weight of a full bottle of honey is just enough to push the spring down to the point that the cutoff valve closes.  There you go... all you have to do is swap out the full bottles with empty ones and put on a lid... and of course keep the funnel full... I would assume you'd place this over an extractor and attach a coffee filter or whatever you use to filter the honey to the output of the extractor before it flows into the funnel (that should slow it down enough that it's managable).
                                                                                                                                                           what kind of persription do you have :-D :-D :-D :-DRDY-B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 08:00:55 pm »
yea slow it down enough so its managable  :-D  RDY-B

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 08:28:07 pm »
That's pretty darn expensive...

everything in beekeeping is expensive if you want to go sideline/commercial, I am going towards the queens rearing and nuc industry side but also want to do honey as well, to make thing go faster and easier you have to upgrade, this is what I am looking at once I get about 100 honey hives, just got to pay off truck first  ;)

http://www.cowenmfg.com/store_items_view.asp?itemid=19255

then I am sure after running that many hive I will want some kind of a bottling system and I am sure it will cost also....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:12:42 pm by TwT »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 10:29:10 pm »
NO dout about it quality equipment pays for it self -and if you cant afford quality just remember -LOTS of DUCK TAPE-          8-) RDY-B

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 10:53:04 pm »
I guess I'm looking at it from a 1 hive perspective... a hundred or more hives and something like that might pay for itself... but for the home hobbyist... that's kinda ridiculous.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 11:11:33 pm »
.. but for the home hobbyist... that's kinda ridiculous.

it is ridiculous to even think a home hobbyist would need a bottling system, if a person is looking for a system like that then they may not be considered home hobbyist because home hobbyist doesn't extract enough to need a bottling system.

NO dout about it quality equipment pays for it self -and if you cant afford quality just remember -LOTS of DUCK TAPE-          8-) RDY-B

BAHAHAHA!!!!! you said a mouth full that time  :-D ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 12:06:38 am »
I guess I'm looking at it from a 1 hive perspective... a hundred or more hives and something like that might pay for itself... but for the home hobbyist... that's kinda ridiculous.
    SEAN is doing 80 bottles a week i think he posted about a honey pump and he is using drums to store honey at that point he is a sideline operator -and is expanding his systems-the only thing ridiculous is someone who has never bottled honey -is trying to give advice on how to build a honey bottler -the advice we hand out must be of beemaster caliber -and nothing less RDY-B

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 07:39:01 pm »
SEAN is doing 80 bottles a week i think he posted about a honey pump and he is using drums to store honey at that point he is a sideline operator -and is expanding his systems-the only thing ridiculous is someone who has never bottled honey -is trying to give advice on how to build a honey bottler -the advice we hand out must be of beemaster caliber -and nothing less RDY-B

I take it you don't fly much.  Because if you have flown, you probably flew in airplane that was designed and built by people who have never flown an airplane.  Guess that makes the 747 a pile of junk then.   :roll:

I also suppose Sean is the only one reading this thread then... no one else... no passers by that might not be doing 80 bottles a week read this thread?   :roll:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 08:26:53 pm »
I would like a bottling system. Mostly to just be able to say "I have one"!
But, mostly, I would like to be getting enough honey to use one!
 I have an extractor with a hand crank and so far thats enough "Coolness" that I can handle right now!
 Now, what i really need is a boy who has a strong back and a weak mind. That way I will have someone to do the lifting for me!, Someone like the guy in slingblade, or the guy in the Halloween movies with the mask! I bet they can move hive bodys all day long!

your friend,
john

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 08:43:56 pm »
maybe you could build something that would have a manifold with several spouts and a single valve. then you could line your containers up one under each spout and then open the valve and fill them simultaneously. Not sure how you would get the honey to flow evenly to each spout. Now that i think about it this sounds like a sticky mess waiting to happen.