Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey at $44 a lb!  (Read 4900 times)

Offline woodsstalker

• New Bee
Re: honey at $44 a lb!
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 03:51:05 am »
We have not only a Loonie ... but also a toonie! This week our canadian dollar started to move down against foreign currencies including The American Buck. I think it opened today at $100 canadian = $97 American. BUT ... bought a cooler at walmart in New Hampshire last year was $39.99 NO TAX! Same (almost) cooler here was $69.99 PLUS 13% = $79.89!!!  I say "Live Free Or Die"!

OOOUCH!! I know gas prices have always been much higher in Canada. Even after figuring the liter.

My first time to Canada (I have to tell this story) after crossing the bridge at Erie my 1st concern was the speed limit. So keeping a sharp lookout for a speed sign I finally saw one over the hood of a truck which said "Speed Limit 100....". Which was all I saw. My first thought - Gee, 100! Wow! so hit the gas pedal as I had a long drive up to North Bay and I had just entered Canada with Toronto still 2 hrs away.

Well, I was passing other vehicles and thinking - These Canadians are afraid to even drive at their own speed limit - gotta admit, at 100 mph I was making good time!

A few miles further down the road I saw another speed limit sign that said "Speed Limit 100 KPH - I thought, what the heck is this KPH crap!! Then it dawned on me. Wow wonder I had not ran across any of those dudes in the red coats!! So, slowed down and cruised like everyone else.

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 10:08:41 am »
Yup, Canada is Metric! Good move Pierre Trudeau (bossman in the 60's and 70'). Imagine Obama suggesting every traffic sign in the U.S.A. be taken down and replaced by metric? Good idea?(not). Stimulate the economy! Now Pierre's son Justin, is making a  move to take over leadership of his dads political party.

It's getting to be the same all over the world though. Government of the Corporation, by the corporation, for the corporation.

I still look at the temperature and mentally do a conversion to fahrenheit,  If it's 30 times 2 is 60 less 10% is 54 plus 32 is 86. OK it's toasty out! Minus 10 times 2 is minus 20 less 10 percent is minus 22 plus 32 is 10 degrees ... get my gloves.

Best not to get into Canadian politics tho', I'd be about the only one commenting and I might start arguing with myself! :buttkick:

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 02:41:02 pm »
A few miles further down the road I saw another speed limit sign that said "Speed Limit 100 KPH - I thought, what the heck is this KPH crap!! Then it dawned on me. Wow wonder I had not ran across any of those dudes in the red coats!! So, slowed down and cruised like everyone else.

:lau: :lau: :lau: hehehehe, ignorance is bliss :lau: :lau: :lau:

mvh edward  :-P

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 03:07:25 pm »
One summer while living in New Hampshire, I decided to beat our 4th of July traffic by traveling back to Michigan on July 1st.  I would cut across Ontario from Buffalo to Port Huron.  All was going well until I got to Buffalo and tried to cross the boarder. :)  LOL, guess what day Canada celebrates it's history on. :-D

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 04:59:43 pm »
One summer while living in New Hampshire, I decided to beat our 4th of July traffic by traveling back to Michigan on July 1st.  I would cut across Ontario from Buffalo to Port Huron.  All was going well until I got to Buffalo and tried to cross the boarder. :)  LOL, guess what day Canada celebrates it's history on. :-D

Bet you bought all your gas before  ... or after :)

Offline woodsstalker

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 12:56:43 am »
Yup, Canada is Metric! Good move Pierre Trudeau (bossman in the 60's and 70'). Imagine Obama suggesting every traffic sign in the U.S.A. be taken down and replaced by metric? Good idea?(not). Stimulate the economy! Now Pierre's son Justin, is making a  move to take over leadership of his dads political party.

It's getting to be the same all over the world though. Government of the Corporation, by the corporation, for the corporation.

I still look at the temperature and mentally do a conversion to fahrenheit,  If it's 30 times 2 is 60 less 10% is 54 plus 32 is 86. OK it's toasty out! Minus 10 times 2 is minus 20 less 10 percent is minus 22 plus 32 is 10 degrees ... get my gloves.

Best not to get into Canadian politics tho', I'd be about the only one commenting and I might start arguing with myself! :buttkick:

Yeah, I feel for you folks. Especially the sales tax structure; what's considered necessities and what not, etc.

But you are right, getting that way down here. Our current political leadership is hell bent on destroying this country.

Offline jpmeir

• New Bee
  • Yesterday was the only easy day
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 11:06:15 am »
Honey here in texas is about .50 oz; $8.00 pint; $16.00 quart

Offline woodsstalker

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 12:44:57 pm »
A tad less here in NC. I think a pint goes for around $6.00.

I was visiting some Amish friends of mine a few days ago and was informed that if I start producing honey to let them know. Not sure of their intentions, but something to think about. My initial reasoning for getting back into bees was the pollination factor because I have noticed a decline in honey bees over the past few years with not a single sighting last year. I can only hope that ay bees I start oput with won't be going that route over time.