Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where can I get the best price?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Colorado Beekeeper

• New Bee
Where can I get the best price?
« on: December 16, 2005, 09:16:02 pm »
Where can I get the best price on beekeeping supplies?

thanks.Kenneth
Kenneth Lowry

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 10:01:36 pm »
A lot of it depends on shipping.  Also on the item you want to buy.  One place will be cheaper on some items and not others.  When I lived out in Western Nebraska and Wyoming and the front range of Colorado, it seemed like the cheapest for me was Western Bee supply for woodenware.  But I buy a lot of stuff from Brushy Mt because I run all eight frame medium hives and they have a lot of eight frame accessories and hives.  And they have some medium depth things that others don't have like five frame nucs.

Be sure when doing comparisons to include shipping.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
equpment
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 11:15:41 pm »
best strategy is to help an old beekeeper.  chances are he will have a old hive body you can start with.  You can help him with some horsepower in exchange.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 12:37:31 am »
I like Mann Lake for a lot of my stuff that I can't get from my local apiary (10 miles away).  They are a Mann Lake and Dadant distributor as well.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline PA Pete

• Brood
Brushy Mountain
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 08:28:32 pm »
Brushy Mountain supposedly has free shipping through the end of December.  You have to mention the ad in Bee Culture.  Even on a small order, this can be a substantial savings.

-Pete

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 08:30:25 pm »
>Brushy Mountain supposedly has free shipping through the end of December

What I heard was that was only East of the Mississippi.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 04:07:24 am »
That's what the advertisment reads.  Being in Arkansas I have various options and do a lot of looking and comparing in order to save.  Some companies I don't touch for various equipment because they are, so far, higher than others and shipping has no effect on cost difference.  Good Luck!

I got my starter kit from Better Bee.  I am happy with what I have, but I should have shopped around more.  IMHO I would suggest using the listings here on Bee Source to start with and if you have a copy of ABJ or Bee Culture go through them, if you have the time as it can be quite time consuming.

P. S.    I am also trying to build a lot of my own stuff.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 08:46:13 am »
At one point Brushy mountain offered free shipping for new first time customers. I am not sure if this is a standard practice for them. It saves a lot of dough.

Offline Colorado Beekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 06:59:07 pm »
thank alot guy's. I am however getting my frames and hives from my dad who kept bees. I just need the fondations
Kenneth Lowry

anything