Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how long will swarm lure last?  (Read 2796 times)

Offline bobby

• New Bee
how long will swarm lure last?
« on: April 05, 2006, 11:10:51 pm »
i need info. i'm trying to draw a swarm out of a tree that cant be cut. i've got a swarm lure in a hive mounted on top of a 5 foot step ladder. i need to know how far from the tree i need to put my hive and how long will the swarm lure last?

manowar422

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:20:18 am »
IMO The scent from the lure will last for at least as long as your swarm
will take to make up it's collective mind.

Try a taller ladder, bees prefer nesting about 10 feet off the ground.

Three mediums or two deep boxes with frames of drawn comb
will be a more attractive cavity if the swarm is bigger than soccer
ball size.

Try placing the box in a location protected from the winds, the scout bees
will find it even if your boxes are not really close to the swarm's location.

Good Luck

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:23:30 am »
I have to ask..... Are we talking about a swarm up in the branches or a colony inside the tree trunk? The tree cutting part throws me off.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Re: how long will swarm lure last?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 06:37:30 am »
Quote from: bobby
i need info. i'm trying to draw a swarm out of a tree that cant be cut. i've got a swarm lure in a hive mounted on top of a 5 foot step ladder. i need to know how far from the tree i need to put my hive and how long will the swarm lure last?

If the bees are ensconced in the tree, in a cavity, as if THAT IS their permanent home you will not lure them out.

You can possibly make them abscond by beating on the tree for an extended period of time as in every few hours for as many days as it takes. Like beat, bang, beat, bang, beat, bang, over and over and over until...

Weather they will choose to re-locate in your offered new home is iffy. I have had a couple of trials at this exercize and the bees just BUGGED out never to be seen again.

But you can always try and keep good notes so YOU can educate us. :wink:  Who knows, you might just be successful.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:18:48 am »
>i need info. i'm trying to draw a swarm out of a tree that cant be cut. i've got a swarm lure in a hive mounted on top of a 5 foot step ladder. i need to know how far from the tree i need to put my hive and how long will the swarm lure last?

Swarm lure like the ones in the plastic vials are good for a year at least.  Probablya little bit good after that.

If you have a "swarm" that is now LIVING in the tree you will need a lot more than swarm lure to get them out.  Swarm lure simply makes a bait hive seem more attractive to a swarm.  It will not cause a hive to abscond and move in.  In this case swarm lure will not work.

If you have a real swarm, that is a cluster of bees hanging on a limb, you will need to physically remove them.  Cut the branch or whatever and shake them into a box.  I use a five gallon bucket on the end of a pole and slam it directly up under them so they fall into the bucket and then dump the swarm in a hive.  In this case swarm lure is not needed.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything