Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First cutout  (Read 2188 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
First cutout
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:34:22 pm »
In an earlier post I  used a vibrator in an  attempt to get bees out of a wooden column ( the owner didn't want to cut into it). I didn't work but the bees seemed happier. Later the owner said to go ahead with the cutout when I told him how long it could take.

The cutout went well, with only one sting. I got about four frames of brood which I put into frames already cross wired. With a little gentle pressure, the wires cut nicely into the wax. I also used rubber bands to secure them.

Before the owner gave the OK to do the cut out, I had already put a one way cone to start trapping them out. After two days, the bees filled one medium brood chamber which I placed right by the cone exit. I had placed one frame of brood, some honey and a little lemongrass oil in it. By day two, there was a lot of activity coming and going from the box.This worked well in that I had fewer bees to contend with when I did cut into the column. They now almost fill two medium boxes.

This was great fun!!!!

The pictures show the column, brood tied into the frames, and the last is the one way exit cone.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First cutout
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:38:01 pm »
looks like you did great!  how long did it take?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:38 pm »
Good deal, looks like a lot of nice light comb! Mine was mostly black. One sting isn't bad, either...what kind of suit did you have? Mine only goes to my waist, and pulls up from my pants when I bend over...prolly not the best cutout suit.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 11:33:03 pm »
Once I figured out how to cut into it, opening it only took ten minutes. Removing it all was about one hour . The comb was up to 3 feet long, attatched to the top of the column. There were signs of very old, hard comb all the way to the bottom. It must have been quite a sight years ago when they filled the whole thing.

The suit was just an old nylon jumpsuit (baggy) that I wore over regular clothes. I duct taped all sleeves and pant legs. The veil was a simple pull on and tie around the waist. They were so gentle. I was certainly overdressed for this event but, been my first cutout, I didn't know what to expect.

Here's my fashion ensemble: