Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HopGuard  (Read 4878 times)

Offline achunter

• House Bee
HopGuard
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:07:20 pm »
Hey everyone, I recently placed an order from a company unknowing hopguard was not yet approved in PA, they called and said they were unable to ship. If there is anyone here that would be willing to help me out in obtaining some shoot me a PM please.

Thanks!!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: HopGuard
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:39 am »
Do you realize you're asking in a public forum for accomplices to aid you in breaking the laws of your state?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:48:52 am »
I know its late, but if room is available, why not plant some hops next year instead?

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:26 am »
Achunter
Have you looked here
http://www.betatechopproducts.com/products/varroa-mite-control

good luck
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 03:17:30 pm »
achunter,
Call up to Dadant in New York, and see if they carry it. It wouldn't be much of a drive for you.

As for any state laws being broke.....it seems for a state that lost better than 50% of the bees last year, the lack of funding for a competent inspection service, and the new state apiarist who really is a "paper" figure to begin with since he is the apiarist/invasive species coordinator, (that spends more time working on stink bugs and emerald ash borer problems), I think beekeepers should do what they think best for their own operation and interest.

Why has other states filed for section 18 approval yet Pennsylvania has not?

If it is safe, effective, and another product to allow beekeepers to NOT use other more harmful chemicals and poisons in their hives, then the state should be falling over themselves getting this approved.

By sitting back and doing nothing, and allowing this product to NOT be allowed in this state, sends the message that everything is just fine in the industry. I would rather see the state take the position that we need all the help we can get. And by seeking a section 18, more notice and attention could be garnered.

Screw worrying about the state.

Someone get that beekeeper some hops. ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 03:43:59 pm »
And whoever delivers it or picks it up will likely be breaking speed limit laws.  :-D
Rick

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:21 pm »
Hops are readily available in home brew supply stores.Just as oxalic acid is available in hardware stores.

Offline Russ p

• New Bee
  • I have two hives I got from packages last spring
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:34:20 pm »

T Beek how do you use hops for your bees? I read once where you grow it. Wisconsin isn't approved yet for hop guard so I can't get it.

Offline achunter

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:52:06 pm »
Thanks to all that injected helpful advice, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Just looking for a product that seems to make sense.

ac

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:45:12 am »
Why have other states filed for section 18 approval yet Pennsylvania has not?
Can't speak for Pennsylvania, but I know Indiana declined to approve a section 18 for HopGuard because they had just approved MAQS. In the State's reasoning, beekeepers don't need multiple weapons in their arsenal.

Are the Beekeeping Associations in Pennsylvania active in pushing for section 18 approval?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:15:20 am »
Russ p- Been growing hops longer than keeping bees.  Hops are on the fence right behind my hives which are in full flower right now.  Haven't noticed bees working them....yet this year, but mine have only just begun taking goldenrod, that's been flowering here for nearly a month already.  Bees know best.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Buffalo Bee Farm

• New Bee
    • Buffalo Bee Farm
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »
I have ZERO faith in planting plants that contain the same components as in treatments, for one thing I doubt Hop Guard is made from the nectar or pollen of the hop plant.

All of these natural soft treatments are based off of high concentrations of a component such as hops, formic acid, or thymol.

For example MAQS and other formic based treatments use FORMIC ACID in high concentrations. Formic is found in honey, is part of what makes a bee sting "sting" but yet even with thousands of little formic machines walking around in a hive the mites dont die, but yet when exposed to high concentrations of formic vapors like thymol the mites die...

So i wouldnt spend you money in planting things just for mites, spend it in nectar and pollen sources for the bees...

Thats my 2 cents.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 07:01:38 pm »
It's the beta acids in the hops.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/miticides-2011

There is an interesting section in this article about Hopguard.  I love their use of the word "gloopy" which is a perfect description to be used by anyone that has ever applied the stuff!

I've tried doing several searches for how they make this stuff, but all I can find are the various letters that the states are writing to receive their Section 18 and why they need it.  Some of those letters are pretty interesting, though.