Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3 for 1 swarms  (Read 2463 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
3 for 1 swarms
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:57 am »
Yesterday (3/11/11) was a good day for swarms! We saw 6 but were only able to capture 3...the others were just too high to get to.

Too bad that the three we got were from our own bee yard!

3 for 1 swarms_0001.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Re: 3 for 1 swarms
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:18:19 pm »
Thanks for sharing Scott and Peggy.  How soon do you hive these swarms?  And do you guys put them on foundationless frames?   I have just put out 3 traps here and hopefully our season will start soon. 
I always enjoy seeing yours and JPs vids,  thanks again for the time and effort put into these so we can enjoy with yuns.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:36:39 pm »
Glad you enjoy them James! We shook those bees into boxes (5 frame nucs) as soon as we got them to another yard. I normally go foundationless but with swarms I try to give them either one frame of foundation or better yet some drawn comb. This helps by giving them some surface to cling to.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:05:14 pm »
Wooo Hooo
I got 3 yesterday on the other coast
Now on my way to see if they stayed in the Box's
Bee yard about 20 Min's away, I am bringing drawn comb  today

Scott nice vid mine was close to the same excluding my helper dropped the swarm
when I handed it too him' He dropped 2 outta 3
New Help Wanted

Should I feed ??

Thanks

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:13 pm »
With those swarms high up, good case for swarm traps (or a taller ladder?).  Great video as always.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:52:10 pm »
Allen, after seeing those two swarms (both nice big "keepers") I set out 2 bait hives. I went back today and they had moved on :'( There were a couple of bees in the bait hives though so I might get lucky?

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 11:17:58 pm »
"Should I feed ??"

Not the helper...............
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:30:18 pm »
Hello Scott.  Looks like you might have to take your hive beetle terminator to Buds so he can learn how to shoot down them swarms that are to high to climb up and get. :-D

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:08:54 pm »
Great job Scott. Working the cutters with only one hand while holding the branch with the swarm on there is always a challenge. Important to have extremely sharp blades.

anything